I'm New at This... (Sherlock)

This will probably be very short.

🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍🔍

You worked at St. Bart's Hospital, with Molly in the mortuary. But it was 12:30 now; time for less corpse-analyzing and more eating.

You sat at a small two-person table, setting your tray in front of you. Licking your lips in anticipation at the sight of your huge plate of nachos, you grabbed your fork and proceeded to dig in. Hey, you prayed over your meal during the wait in the lunch line, you were saving time! God approves of that!🙋🏼

Then a shadow suddenly passed over you and Sherlock was sitting in the seat across from you. He had a plate of spaghetti with the smallest dollop of sauce you'd ever seen.

"Hello, (Y/n)," he greeted politely as he twirled his pasta on his fork.

"Hello, Sherlock," you chirruped back, and opened up your little carton of milk.

Sherlock paused his pasta twirling before resuming, his eyes flicking from your milk to you. "I see you're drinking 1%," he pointed out, shoving the ball of lightly sauced pasta into his mouth. "Is that because you think you're fat?" he continued blatantly with his mouth full of food, a sight that made you inwardly cringe because of the lack of manners but kind of 'aww' at because it was somehow cute.

"'Cause you're not." The detective swallowed his food, not realizing he had a bit of sauce on his upper lip. "You could be drinking whole if you wanted to."

You didn't quite know what to say. Your gaze slowly shifted from Sherlock to your milk, as you tried to process what happened, if it was a compliment, and what to say next.

Why couldn't your conversations with Sherlock just be normal?