Ragnar's glances.

a/n: requested.

+

They had hit english grounds a few hours ago. A long travel on the ships had kept them slightly awake due to the big waves. Tents were slowly raised deep inside the woods, protected from any unwanted guests. It would still only be a matter of time when King Ecbert got informed of their arrival.

She sat by the fire that she'd had made as her fingers braided her hair. Her long blond hair was rather smooth and she had only found a few tangles in it. Her eyes rested on her supposed allies, Ragnar Lothbrok. He was a rather handsome man, a few years older than herself and her brother.

Soon Harald sat down on the empty seat next to her, probably finished with their tent and exhaled loudly. The younger sister only raised her brow as she looked at him. Harald's eyes were glued on Ragnar as she tried to read his expression. With his eyes still glued on the legendary man he reached for his cup of mead.

"What are you thinking brother?" She asked and made some last touches on her braided hair. The sun that slightly made its way through the white clouds and through the trees formed a ring of light in her blond hair.

"About this," Harald simply said and looked at his sister who frowned.

"What about this? We've joined Ragnar to raid in England, I thought you would be excited," She mumbled and looked back at Ragnar who dismissed his son. Soon their eyes met, neither of them looking away.

"I am, yet I don't know it this would give me the power that I need," Harald mumbled.

"Stop thinking about Ellisif," She said before standing. "I need to talk to Ragnar," She continued before walking away. Ragnar stood outside a large tent and when he saw her walking over he walked inside. She followed him inside his tent.

"Ragnar, when are we leaving?" She asked and Ragnar only looked at her before taking a sip of mead.

"It's Y/N right?" Ragnar asked and Y/N nodded. "Soon, there's a smaller village a head of us. Tell your brother to leave a few men, we don't need everyone wasting their energy on battle. Let them build their tents and make sure they're well rested tomorrow," Ragnar said and she nodded.

"Who will accompany you?" Y/N asked before leaving the tent.

"A few of my men, my son, Floki, your brother, myself and you if you want to come with?" He said and she hummed. Before leaving she nodded and she could swear she saw a smile on his lips.

They had gathered outside with their armor. Y/N stood next to her brother as they quickly briefed where they were heading. Björn was closely watching her. He had a problem with her brother and herself ever since they had arrived. He had promised the gods that he would kill them himself if they hurt his father. He would let his blade sink into their backs before turning them into eagles.

Y/N and Harald walked side by side behind Ragnar and his men. Floki was right behind them, his fascination of the newcomers were immense. Harald had been speaking to him quite a lot and she knew why.

When they got close to the smaller village they hid behind trees and bushes. She saw kid playing as parents took care of their animals. She turned to look at her brother who licked his lips as his eyes were glued on the villagers, especially the women. At Ragnar's signal they invaded it. The once peaceful village quickly filled itself with panic. A man ran towards Y/N with a rake in his hands but she quickly cut his arm with her blade. She rolled her eyes when the man tried to play heroic and stand up again but she quickly let her blade slit his throat.

Y/N then walked up to one of the smaller houses, kicked a door open and smiled. It was empty what she could see and she saw what seemed to be a silver cross on a table. It wasn't something big but good enough. Suddenly she could hear sound of a small cry. Her head snapped in the direction of the sound and behind a smaller bed sat a woman with a baby in her arms. Tears streamed down her cheeks when she noticed Y/N. Her bloody sword visible.

Y/N wasn't as brutal as her brother. She wasn't seeking power, especially not power through fear and pain. She just looked at the woman who seemed to beg her not to hurt her in a foreign language. She knew english but not good enough.

Then a loud growl was heard from behind. She turned around and saw a rather large man with a smaller sword in his hands. He quickly charged at Y/N.

"I going to kill you for scaring my wife," Y/N understood as well as when he shouted at his wife to run away when he cornered Y/N. The woman was only screaming in fear, not being able to move. Her screams soon got louder when her husband froze. An axe was struck in his back. Y/N pushed the man away, making him fall to the ground with a loud thud. With heavy breaths she saw Ragnar standing there. He raised his brow and Y/N nodded.

Ragnar looked at the terrified woman in the corner. He took a few steps towards her but Y/N's hand on his upper arm stopped him. He looked at her and she shook her head. Ragnar looked back at the woman before nodding. They left the woman inside and soon entered a now more calm village. They had success fully raided it. Floki collected the valuables as Ragnar kept walking by Y/N's side.

"You're a good fighter," Ragnar complimented her and she smiled.

"You're not to bad yourself yet not seen what I've been hearing," She answered before stopping in her tracks. Ragnar stopped as well, looking her in the eyes with a smile on his face.

"Well lucky for me then that we have a few more raids together," Ragnar said, still smiling. The woman in front of him chuckled and nodded. His icy blue eyes always finding hers.

"I thought you were better that that Ragnar, I thought I would see you ace this by yourself already," She said and Ragnar chuckled.

"Then you wouldn't have any reason to look at me," Ragnar said and she laughed out loud. "What do you say about planning the next raid with me?" He later on asked and her eyes widen.

"Me? We barely know each other," She exclaimed and Ragnar's eyes were shimmering even with the lack of sun.

"That's why," Ragnar answered and Y/N shrugged with a smile. Soon Harald joined them as well as Björn who kept giving them the cold shoulder before they decided to return to their camp. As they walked she saw Ragnar glance behind him to look at her but quickly looked away when she noticed. Y/N wished that her brother wouldn't notice.

"What did you and Ragnar talk about?" Harald asked and she frowned.

"He just complimented my combat skills," She answered and he hummed.

"Did you give me some credit?" He asked and she laughed. "But seriously sister, keep him in distance, I can see his glances," Harald whispered in her ear before sneaking his arm around her shoulders.

"Please," She chuckled.

"He's interested and I don't blame you since you have me as a very charming brother,"