Dire Straits: For Brown5714

Start from the beginning

"That's disturbing," you cringed.

"It isn't me!" insisted Snotlout.

"Hiccup, if it wasn't Snotlout, do you think that could mean," Fishlegs hinted.

"Everyone, clear the area! Now!" yelled Hiccup. Immediately, everyone sped away as a whirlpool started below.

"Oh, great," you whined. "Hiccup, are we seriously dealing with this?"

"What is that?" asked Astrid.

"No time to explain. We need to move!"

"Hiccup, the Scauldron!" Everyone glanced at the Scauldron, watching it get sucked into the whirlpool.

"I see it. Fishlegs, follow me."

They freed the Scauldron, who didn't hesitate to leave, but Fishlegs got caught in the suction power of the whirlpool.

"Hiccup, it's pulling us in!" he cried.

"Fly against it." Fishlegs tried, Meatlug struggled to stay above. "Push harder!" Everyone watched as Meatlug struggled to escape the suction of the whirlpool. "Oh, this keeps getting better by the second!"

"Fishlegs!" called Heather.

"Heather!" he called back. She tried to fly in closer, but refused to let Windshear get caught in it, too.

"Hiccup, we can't get in there."

Hiccup sighed, "Okay, we only have one hope. Concentrate our fire. Everyone, blast into the mouth. Now!" On command, everyone combined fire and disrupted the whirlpool. Once the sea calmed, the strained flying turned to tense hovering.

"That was close," you commented.

"You know, now that I think about it, I would hypothesize that the dragon/man-eating whirlpool is probably what scared those merchants away," Tuffnut proclaimed.

"No kidding," you dead planned.

"I would concur with said hypothesis, brother Nut," Ruffnut agreed. "No boat could withstand such a display of natural force."

"What was that? A sea monster?"

"Not a sea monster. A powerful Tidal Class dragon: the Submaripper. I've only read about them in the Book of Dragons. Much scarier in person," answered Hiccup.

"No kidding, but why would a Submaripper take hold in a narrow area?" you questioned.

Fishlegs added on, "Yeah, they prefer deeper, open water, and they're typically very reclusive."

"Yeah, there's no way a Submaripper would make this of all places his home. It doesn't make any sense," you continued on with Fishlegs.

"I don't know. What I do know is we have an extremely territorial and dangerous dragon on our hands. Come on, let's head to Berk." Everyone turned and started flying home.

**************

"Dad, what happened here?" Hiccup asked, gesturing to the gloomy village. The normally bubbling village put out a dull aura. Even the children weren't running around with their contagious laughter.

"With the trade routes closed, we've had no way to get provisions. Without any gold, we have no means to purchase them, either. Son, if the routes aren't opened soon, the reserves will run out. And when it does, we won't be able to feed our people," admitted Stoick, solemnly. Everyone looked at the ground.

Hiccup didn't waste another second before getting to work. "Heather, Ruff, Tuff, help the Auxiliary gather more provisions. Fishlegs, help feed the village. Astrid, (Y/ N), and Snotlout, come with me. We're going back to the Straits. We have a Submaripper to remove."