Chapter 17: The Island

Ashlie's POV

The last thing I remembered was being flung into water and everything turning black for what seemed like mere seconds.

I opened my eyes slowly, pain shaking through out my entire body as I came conscious.
There were candles lit by me, on top of a wooden night table.
I noticed the roof is some sort of stone with vines running across it.

I rubbed my head slowly easing out of bed. Now that I look at it, it wasn't much of a bed. More like a hammock. I carefully step out without falling and grab my shoulder as I winced in pain.

I noticed there were several bandages wrapping my arm I used to hold everyone up and groaned in realization.

I turned and noticed Rex laid by me in a separate hammock.
"Rex!" I hissed, a muffled groan escaped his lips.
"I guess I'm on my own." I muttered as I took in my surroundings.
"Where are we exactly, and what are we doing here?" I questioned as I began to walk to what seemed like the exit. 

Just as I reached the door and was about to turn the knob, the door swinged open.

A woman with dark brown hair and a long white dress holding a silver platter with several bowls, screamed startled, dropping the tray with the items.

I stare at the woman in disbslief, she has a godly complexion. All her features were so prominent it will make the most brave people insecure.

The woman had gray eyes that resembled glass and her skin seemed pale, but not too pale. She wore a flower crown, a mixture of several flowers from yellow, to pink, to white.
She had gold bracelets on that had emerald jewls on them.

"Oh my..." the woman said, her voice soft and soothing. "I did not expect you to be awake so soon." She smiled as she crouched and picked up the fallen items.

"My name is Mystikó, I am the leader of Psematá." The woman said with caring eyes.

"Pse-what?" I asked confused.

"Psematá, it is a safe haven in this vast sea. This place is made for strong woman who wish to get away from the world of cruel and ignorant men. Many come here to seek guidance, I believe you did not come here alone." Mystikó said, her eyes wandering to Rex who was sleeping comfortably behind me.

"Sorry, I've never heard of this place... That's my friend, Adam, though we call him Rex." I said compelled to answer this mysterious woman's questions.

"I see, we had brought another one in earlier, a little boy with bright blue hair, do you know him?" The woman asked with an encouraging smile.

"Dawn!?" I said joyfully.

"Before I take you to see the child you call Dawn, we must prepare you." The woman smiled and put the items down on a nearby table.

"P-prepare?" I questioned.

"I wish to show you around first, no harm has come to the boy, we only wish to show you around." The woman said and I nodded.

"Very well then, follow me." She said urging me onward.

"Here in Psematá, there are only woman. We live here and get a long together. We learn about the ways of magic and learn spells that bring new life into the world." Mystikó said as she crouched by an un-bloomed flower. She wrapped her hand around it and gold light produced from her hand causing the flower to bloom a bright pink.

"Follow me, and we will get you new clothes." Mystikó smiled and I did as she asked.

We walked down a very grassy path outside, flowers spreading from both sides of it until we got to a wooden shelter.
"Hello Mystikó, my lady." A woman said bowing her head and Mystikó smiled.

"What would you like?"

"Will you be so kind to set this young woman with our classic clothesing?" Mystikó asked.

"Why of course." The woman said and quickly left to another room and came out with some sort of cloth.

"We believe you must look your best if you want to be the best so we have many bathing pools spa treatments because presentation is key. If you feel confident in yourself, your mind will be confident as well."

"Mhm." I nodded at the woman as she led me outside.
We walked for a while, Mystikó talking about their way of life on the island.

"All these plants, we take care of them, we tend to them, sing to them...Your little friend seemed most interested in our ways as well."

"Dawn?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yes, we took him to the library...very smart boy." The woman said with slight disgust. "Though, he could not stay here permanently."

"What, why not?" I asked confused.

"Like I told you before, woman come here to get relief from the terrors of men...the young boy is sadly going to grow into a man." She said, her head tilting downward.

"What about Rex?" I questioned.

"Fine for now, but there is no doubt he must leave when he is in full health." Mystikó smiled, grabbing my hand gently to reassure me.

"But you can stay." She said with a smile.
"I can stay?" I questioned.

"Why of course. You are a young woman, you seem fit. There is no doubt that you are a warrior, yes?" I nodded at her question.

"We have many books that can teach the finest techniques of martial arts and learn magic to help maintain the land and use it to your own will." She smiled at me.

She paused for while then thumped her head. "How rude of me, I never asked for your name." She said looking at me for forgiveness.

"Oh, my name is Ashlie." I stated.

"Ah, Ashlie. What a beautiful name for a beautiful young lady." She smiled at me warmly.

"Ashlie, will you answer this, have men ever used you before? For anything and you not even get a thank you. No acknowledgement what so ever. They just push you around and act as if they accomplished something on their own." Mystikó's tone got serious and sad.

My mind flashes back to the time of the trials...hurting countless of kids for the king. Forced, getting no choice.
I nodded at her question.

Her expression turned even more grimm. " Have you ever been hurt by the hands of men?"

Years of hard training, and torture flood in my head as the trials come to mind.

I nodded once again.

"Oh my poor child...this is what we keep young woman here from. This is a sanctuary for tortured souls like yourself no harm will come to you if you stay..." Mystikó said, her eyes full of worry and pain.

"I'm sorry but I really need to find my friends...we are looking for someone."

"Once again, a slave to man." Mystikó sighed.

"No, my friends are good people, kind people I went with them willingly." I said putting my hands up defensive.

"I worry for you my child, do these friends of yours truly know your worth, do they appreciate what you do for them?" She asked suspicious.

I nodded hesitantly not really putting any thought into it.

"Very well then, you and your friends can part on a ship when the oldest recovers."

"Wait did you find more people, there were still five other guys I was with." I asked worried.

"I'm sorry, we haven't seen any other people then you, the child, and the man who is in recovery. I will send word so the woman know to keep an eye out. Anyways, here we are, the bathing pools. Take your time. It is very soothing to relax and embrace the full experience I will be back to retrieve you later." Mystikó said with a kind smile leaving the clothes on a rock.

"Thank you." I said and she smiled at me, walking away.