Chapter 3

"RRRRRRING RRRRRRRING RRRRRRING!"

I was woken up by my stupid alarm clock. "Fucking piece of shit." I turned the clock off and stood up from the floor.

"Its too early for this." I scratch my back then look around this messy apartment I call my home.

"I don't want to adult today." I mumble as I trudge towards the bathroom. I look in the mirror and-

"Holy shit you look like shit!" I hear from behind me. I turn around to see my best friend and also my roommate, Matt.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious." I say sarcastically. I brush my finger tips along my jaw line. "I need to shave." I mumble to myself.

"Yes you do. I made pancakes." Matt said as he left the bathroom.

~^~^~*~^~^~

"Lookin' sharp! Who's the lucky lady?" Matt asked after I came out of my bedroom.

I look at him with the look of disapproval. "You know I don't swing that way." I said as I fixed my tie in the mirror we have in the living room.

"Haha I know dude. I was just messing with you." He chuckles. A moment of comfortable silence passes.

"You know, you should get married soon." Matt says randomly. My eyes drift over to a picture hanging on the wall.

"You know I can't do that." I said without looking at him. He sighs and picks up some plates from breakfast.

"You need to move on with your life. Find a nice guy, settle down, get a better job and actually stick with it this time, then you-"

"You know I can't do that." I tried to hide the crack in my voice but it slipped out. Matt stopped moving and I felt him look at me but my eyes didn't leave that photo.

"Nate, I know how it feels but-"

"You don't know shit about how this feels!" I yelled and spun around. He looked at me with shocked eyes. I gritted my teeth and tears spilt out of my eyes. "Y-you don't know anything." I said just about a whisper.

I sniffled and wiped away the tears from my cheeks.

"Nate..." Matt said desperately and he took a step towards me.

"I'm going to work." I said abruptly and rushed towards the door. I opened the closet and got my jacket out. I stepped out the door.

"Nate I'm sorry!" I heard Matt yell as I slammed the door.

~^~^~*~^~^~

Little did Nate know, when he slammed the door it shook the walls with so much hatred the photo he was looking at so desperately before, fell and shattered on the floor.

Now it laid there, Nate with his arm wrapped around Ashton's shoulders and waist, lips pressed against his cheek. That one memory so sweet it was captured into a photograph, shattered and broken into pieces.

Like Nate's heart.