Chapter 2

The practice of champion warfare was not new to the continent of Elisia. Record of the practice could be found as far back as 3000 BU –3000 years before unification- when tribal chiefs opted to settle territorial disputes in single combat rather than risk their tribe's strong young men in battle. The practice had been dormant for a millennium but rose again from the ashes of the Red War. A conflict that began as a dispute over a canal that exploded into a decade long war that enveloped the entire known world. Millions died and when an uneasy truce was reached the 27 nations of Elisia were left in ruin. It was said so much blood was shed through the conflict that it stained the continent's very soil red. After the war, the citizens of the continent began to refer to Elisia by a different name. They call it The Red Continent.

The Red War was the people's breaking point and in its wake they began to question the supreme rule of the sovereign houses. Recognizing the peril of their rule the sovereigns of Elisia convened a council in the city Osira as a last ditch effort to preserve their power. After 34 days of intense debate a solution was reached and the Treaty of Osira was signed. It was decreed that conflicts between Elisian nations would no longer be decided by clashes of rival armies but in single combat between champions of sovereign blood. These contests were to be governed by the newly formed Elisian Union comprised of all 27 nations of the continent.

The measure accomplished its goal better than anticipated. Each contest stirs nationalistic pride and the sacrifice of the ruling families, in addition to the specter of the battles blind the people to any freedoms they're denied. There hasn't been a war between Elisian nations in the century since the implementation of champion warfare which has allowed the nations of Elisia to concentrate their military might on the expansion of their imperial holdings on the resource rich continents of Atalus and Myridia.

In the bowels of the arena the Sovereign Houses of Elisa gathered to await their escorts. With most of the continent's sovereign's on hand for the clash security was extremely tight and a staggered exit was needed to ensure safety. While her older brother Christian, King of Corella worked the room, Alexia Varela stood with her little sister Penelope and a gathering of other young nobles from across the continent. The group consisted of Kaden and Sofia Gramont of Arras, Gabriella Erickson of Garland, Wilhelm Hammerstad of Barden and Eli Thorn who had just excused himself from Leander' dressing room.

"Did any of you see it going this way?" Kaden said.

"I had Fredrick in 4 moves," Wilhelm said. "I was almost right. I thought Leander was done when Fredrick turned him around."

"Nobody saw it going that way," Gabriella said. "The last time anybody saw Leander was at his brother's funeral. He was scrawny then...the boy filled out."

"Did he ever," Sofia said as the corners of her lips slowly curled into a smile. "I'm going to have to update my approval list."

"Approval list?" Penelope asked.

"My approved suitors list...you don't have a list of approved suitors?" Sofia said.

"No...should I?" Penelope said.

"Yes!" Sofia and Gabriella said in unison.

"If you don't give your brother a list of approved suitors he could marry you off to some inbred troll," Sofia said.

"My brother wouldn't do that," Penelope bristled.

"If he's an apparent you bet your ass he would," Gabriella said.

Penelope looked at Alexia for confirmation. Alexia knew that if an heir apparent wanted Penelope Christian wouldn't care if he had hoofs and a tail, he would push for the union. "I won't let him marry you to a troll," Alexia assured her little sister.