Chapter 9

Perched in the balcony overlooking the Directorate Chamber Alexia sat rapidly tapping the arm rest of her chair as the sovereign's of the Directorate decided Leander's fate.

"We shot down an unidentified aircraft, not responding to hales nor orders to divert course," Ivan Cyprian said emphatically.

"You do not have the authority to shoot down any aircraft that mistakenly enters your airspace," Ambrus said.

"When that aircraft refuses to identify itself and continues on a course for the mainland we are within our rights to defend our people," Ivan said.

"Lies!" Ambrus said. "With each passing year you have become more brazen in your aggression and this is just the next step in your progression."

"You accuse me of aggression?" Ivan said. "When it was you who ordered the assassination of my brother before the wreckage was even salvaged! We acted with our right and you responded with a declaration of war!"

As the rival kings barked the other members of the Elisian Union's Directorate council remained silent. When the Elisian Union was formed the hegemonic powers didn't think it just that their vote should carry the same weight as a country a tenth its strength. So the Directorate, an eight member council comprised of the continents strongest nations was formed. All business brought before the Elisian Union must first pass through the Directorate and only if there is an impasse does a matter go to majority vote.

The nations of the Directorate consisted of Terras, Corella, Belshire, Karak, Barden, Percelles, Barci and Eiben. Alexia didn't bother herself much with politics but she knew enough to know where the votes would be. Christian would side with Ambrus, especially after what Ballas did to Penelope and Patrice Titanus would surly side with Terras as well given Eleanor was to marry Prince Nicholas. Celine Cyprian, Ivan's wife was formerly Celine Hammerstag, so Barden would be in Karak's camp. Alexia was also sure the Eiben would side with Ivan given Leander killed their son not two months ago. That left only Belshire and Barci as unknowns and both would need to side with Ambrus for Leander to avoid Ballas in the arena.

"Alright," Patrice Titanus said banging his gavel. Patrice was the current serving chairman of the Directorate, a position rotated every two years. "You have both made your points. King Ivan requests a champion clash as remedy for Terras's strike on Prince Victor and King Ambrus requests this council declare justice done and refuse King Ivan's request. Are we prepared to vote on the matter?"

The sovereigns all nodded their heads in agreement. Penelope had stayed in Corella to avoid running into Ballas Cyprian, so Captain Silva sat next to Alexia in the balcony. The captain held Alexia's hand as they readied the vote. Alexia was in Pence with Penelope when she found out about Princess Beatrice's plane as it flashed across the news ticker. She stopped in the middle of the crowded street when she read the words, and continued to stand motionless as the taxi drivers sounded their horns and cursed at her.

Patrice Titanus scribbled something on a piece of paper before addressing the council "We will go left to right beginning with King William...King William, with regards to King Ivan's request for a champion clash between Ballas Cyprian of Karak and Leander Thorn of Terras, do you approve or deny the motion."

"Belshire approves the motion," King William said without hesitation as he glared at Ambrus.

Alexia cringed and squeezed Captain Silva's hand. She wanted to stand up and shout what Leander did in the garden that night. That Leander wasn't the crude brat King William thought him to be. Alexia stamped her feet and began to rise to her feet before Captain Silva pulled her back down. Upon regaining her composure, Alexia looked sharply to her left at Julia Halloway. She sat next to a sovereign guardsman, who Alexia assumed to be her beloved, coward, Alexia thought as she scowled at the young lovers.