Chapter 5

The night was warm and dry as most nights were in southern Corella. Standing at the base of the stone steps that lead from the gates of the palace to the south lawn of the estate, Leander waited for the Varela family and the ruling sovereigns of Elisa to emerge from the ceremony. Closed to all others, the ritualized ceremony marked the Union's acceptance of the heir as a voting member should they ever ascend to the sovereignty.

Leander stood surrounded by his Aunts, Uncles and Cousins, twenty seven in all awaiting the procession to pass. The family was positioned bordering a torch light, patterned stone walkway that lead directly to the reception pavilion. At the conclusion of the ceremony the sovereigns followed by the Varela family would process down the steps, past the hoard of photographers authorized only to chronicle this portion of the event and into the reception. The remaining guests lining the walkway would then fall in behind them and the reception would begin.

"Our spot in this procession is completely unacceptable," Beatrice groused.

"We'll be the third family in mother," Eleanor said.

"We should be the first. We're the oldest and most distinguished family in all of Elisia. We should be directly behind the Varelas," Beatrice said.

"Don't be insulted Aunt Beatrice, it's just politics. Christian wants courtship offers from Nicholas Titanus and Christopher Ostergard so he put them first. He knows I've already been sold off," Leander said.

The trumpets sounded from the top of the steps as the sovereigns emerged, processing two by two down the stairs and along the walkway. Stiff and mannered they passed by, and allowed to completely enter the pavilion before the Varela family appeared atop the staircase. Penelope stood in the middle, flanked by Christian to her left and Alexia on her right. Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs the trio paused to pose for pictures as the photographers battled for position. They're going to be seeing spots for days, Leander thought as it looked like the family was directly in front of a strobe light. It was Penelope's day but the clamor from the photographers was not directed at her.

Alexia! Alexia! Alexia! They shouted as they desperately tried to attract her attention.

Penelope glanced at her sister and began to pout. With white for teeth still on display for the cameras Alexia leaned toward her sister and whispered in her ear. When she finished an overly wide grin returned to Penelope's face and the family continued to pose until the photographers were satisfied. Then Alexia took her sister by the arm and they started down the walkway to the reception. Alexia walked slowly keeping her head down, talking softly with her sister as she passed the first two houses that lined the walkway.

Beatrice jabbed Eli with her elbow as the Varela family approached. "Here comes Princess Penelope, make sure to smile and make eye contact."

"Mother... that's mean. You shouldn't try to make poor Penelope nauseous for her own reception," Eleanor snickered.

As the Varela's walked by Leander's eyes never left Alexia's face and when she passed him she turned her head only slightly and glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. He continued to watch her intently until it was his family's turn to fall in line and lamented that was the closest he would come to her the rest of the night. Ambrus had his entire evening planned to the last minute. He was to give both Eunice Fadel and Sofia Gramont each an hour of his time and give the impression he was still undecided. Leander would meet Julia Halloway last and spend time alone with her away from the rest of the guests. Then, after a proper amount of time William and Ambrosia Halloway would accompany Ambrus and Isobel to meet them in the south garden. Leander was informed any deviation was unacceptable.

Upon entering the pavilion Leander was struck by the intricacy of its decoration. The columns of the pavilion were made of hand carved pink ivory and draped with white silks. Flame light candelabras lined the ceiling of the pavilion but the reception was still adequately light due to an incandescent glow Leander couldn't seem to find the source of. The other guests barely took notice of the decoration. Nobles attend at least more than one of these receptions each year, dulling their sense of wonder but with this being Leander's first since Eli's four years ago, he was taken aback by its elaborate intricacy.