Unfortunately-Norminah

Start from the beginning

"Hi, I'm Normani," She introduced herself, pointing toward her apartment, "I live next door and I sort of locked myself out," She explained, watching the girl furrow her eyebrows with concern, "Is it alright if I use your balcony to climb back over to my house? You're the last hope I have," Normani exaggerated, hoping to flatter the girl with her words.

The girl let out a hearty laugh, beaming at Normani like this was going to be her crazy story of the week, "You seem to be in quite the predicament. Most people bring their new neighbors fruit cakes or a potted plant, but this is way better," She giggled, "Go ahead, take your time."

Letting out an exhale of relief, Normani replied, "Thank you so much, I'm eternally grateful," Normani let herself in to the apartment, now noticing the boxes strewn around the living room area, "I've been so busy this week I didn't even notice I had a new neighbor, I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier," Normani further explained, admiring the apartment, "Wow, you've got a nice place here. It's going to look good once you finish decorating."

"Thanks," The girl accepted, shuffling awkwardly behind Normani, who was heading toward the window, "I'm Dinah, by the way."

"Dinah," Normani repeated, turning toward her new neighbor, "That's a really pretty name, it suits you well, since you're beautiful yourself." She blurted out, her usually careful filter suddenly gone.

Blushing, Dinah responded, "That's sweet of you. So if you don't mind me asking, what are you all dressed up for?"

"I ran into my ex boyfriend, and he wanted to catch up over dinner," Normani commented, feeling like she could fully confide in this new found stranger, "Our relationship ended back in high school, and it was nice while it lasted, but there just wasn't that spark, you know? I didn't feel anything," Normani detailed, unlocking Dinah's living room window.

"I've had a lot of boyfriends like that," Dinah agreed, "Mostly because I'm not all that into guys."

Normani lifted an eyebrow, the sound of the child proof lock smacking open ricocheting off the walls like a firework, "Really? Huh," Normani answered dully, somewhat weary to the idea that she should also reveal her own sexuality, which she discovered was bisexual a few years prior.

Changing the subject, Dinah said, "Here, let me help you."

The two girls worked together to push the window open, letting the bottom frame slide up to let the mid autumn air breeze through the apartment. Normani threw both of her legs out of the boxlike space, using her butt to skim down the side of the building, and out the door. Once she stood up again, she wiped off the butt of her jeans, and asked Dinah, "Want to come with me? It's only fair I give you some collateral for being so kind."

Shrugging, Dinah responded, "What the hell, sure, why not."

Dinah took Normani's hand, following her procedure of getting out of the window. Normani may or may not have stared at Dinah's legs as she exited the apartment complex, the perfect thickness of her thighs showing through her elastic yoga pants.

Normani carefully balanced as she walked across the iron wrought balcony of the apartment complex. Trying to stay upright when you were afraid of heights probably wasn't the best thing to be doing in four inch heels, but Normani would have to manage as is, because God only knows what kind of filth could be littered on the balcony.

Through chattering teeth, Normani beckoned to Dinah, "You alright back there?"

"Yes," Dinah answered shortly, letting a beat pass between them before she finished her sentence, "I really would have opted for the fruitcake over risking my life on this less than sturdy death trap!" Dinah teased, eliciting a laugh from Normani.

"We're almost there," Normani commented, gripping the railing so tight her knuckles had begun to turn white, and her fingers ached. She took the extra step, now directly in front of her window, which to her relief, was still cracked, "This is it, help me push this window open, please."

Dinah obliged, crouching down so close to Normani their arms brushed together. A wave of static electricity pulsed through Normani's veins, and she bit down on her cheek to hide the smug smile that was begging to dance across her lips. Normani glanced at Dinah, hoping to catch a similar expression on her face, but they met eyes for a second, and both quickly averted away.

Clearing her throat, Normani chanted, "Alright, let's open this thing up."

The two girls used all of their arm muscle combined to push up the tricky window, getting it to budge after about ten seconds of shoving the palms of their hands into the window. When it was finally open, Normani gestured for Dinah to go in first, and Normani followed, closing the window behind her.

"Thanks for helping me," Normani claimed sincerely, "You saved me at least a hundred dollars tonight, and as a student, I couldn't be more grateful," Normani joked, elbowing Dinah playfully on the bicep of her arm.

"The pleasure was all mine," Dinah grinned, "It's always nice to meet new people, even if you are technically breaking and entering into their home through a window."

Normani allowed herself to laugh, suddenly realizing how bizarre this entire situation is. Following after, Dinah joined her giggle fest, and the girls relived the situation until their stomachs ached.

"Would you like to stay for dinner or coffee? It's the least I can do," Normani finished, wiping a laughing tear from her eye.

Dinah nodded, the corners of her thickly lined lips forming into a genuine smile, "Yeah, that would be really nice," She claimed, but then asked, "What about your date with your ex boyfriend? Shouldn't you be meeting him?" She inquired, her face falling a little bit.

Normani waved her off, "No, I'll tell him I couldn't make it, plus, I would rather spend the night with someone I'm actually interested in," Normani admitted, hoping that her new found crush got the point she was trying to make, and when Dinah beamed brighter than the sun, Normani knew that she did.

"So," Normani claimed, leading Dinah to her kitchen area, "I can make Ramen noodles and a pot of coffee," Normani said, and Dinah stared back at her blankly, "I'm just kidding, is pizza alright with you?"

"Pizza is better than okay with me," Dinah replied, taking a seat at one of the bar stools in front of the island.

"Good, because I am a terrible cook," Normani claimed, dialing the number on her phone, "Go ahead, make yourself at home. You can put on a movie if you want," Normani pointed toward the television, and Dinah obliged, migrating toward the couch.

After Normani made an exchange with the on campus pizza delivery company, she open her text messages and saw that she had a few from Arin, to which she replied, 'sorry I couldn't make it, something huge came up. give me a call and we can catch up some other time.' Then, Normani tucked her phone away in her back pocket, and joined her bubbly new crush on her loveseat.