80. |

Chris:

I sigh before putting down my phone. He didn't, did he? I walk cautiously over to the door and open it. No ones there. I look down, seeing a basket of chocolates and wine. It's not Ethan, just something he had dropped off. I close my eyes and exhale deeply before picking up the basked. I'm just closing the door when I hear a voice.

"Hey, the least you could say is thank you."

Ethan? Ethan! He's standing there; he's really in front of me. I can't help it, I grab his wrist and drag him inside as I pull him in for a tight hug. I start to cry again, knowing I can because it's obvious I was only two minutes ago.

"I was wondering why you weren't returning my calls." I cry, pulling away.

"I just needed to be alone, and then I couldn't be."

"What about Jake?" I ask.

"I said I was spending the night at my Mum's" Ethan replies.

"Why would you need to lie about coming to see me?"

"I-I-" he stutters, looking down.

"You what?" I ask.

"I... I wanted to be alone with you."

"But...why?"

"I need you to play me the song," Ethan tells me. "I need to hear you sing it."

"I wrote it for you to s-" I start but he cuts me off.

"I'm not going to sing anymore."

"W-what?" I ask, shocked.

"It's not the same without you; I don't want to do it without you."

"No..." I trail off, my mind spiralling into a whirlpool of emotions. "You can't."

"It's not your fault, Chris, I just need a change." Ethan tells me.

"That's bullshit and you know it; it is entirely my fault." I start to cry again.

Ethan doesn't say anything for a while, staring at the ground blankly.

"Maybe it is," he whispers. My heart sinks. "But I'm glad."

--

I wake up with so many questions. Last night I just accepted the fact that Ethan was here and didn't look far into the details. Melika woke up early and was scared half to death when she found Ethan and I asleep on the couch. She left for work, leaving me a muffin and a banana. Now I'm sitting on the couch, running my hand over the grey suede, bored out of my mind as I wait for Ethan to wake.

"I don't want to," I hear. My head snaps left to see Ethan still asleep, his head resting on the arm of the couch. "It'll hurt."

It takes me a few seconds to realise he's talking in his sleep. He mutters a few similar things that I couldn't really make out, except one thing.

"Kade, please."

He's dreaming about Kade. All of a sudden Ethan snaps awake, sitting up quickly. He stares over his shoulder at me, his gaze piercing mine.

"I have to go to the beach."

"Ethan, calm down." I try, but he's already on his feet.

I follow him to the other side of the room where his suitcase is. How long is he planning on staying? Why did he bring an entire suitcase? I don't know what to say as he takes off his shirt, replacing it with a clean, crisp white one. For some reason Ethan doesn't change out of his tan jogging pants, picking up his phone and running towards the door.