77.|

Chris' point of view:

"Okay, just calm down, Eth. Stop stressing. Is his car still here?" I ask, knowing Ethan won't calm down until he can see I am.

"I'll check." he breathes, turning and jogging out of my room and down the stairs.

I follow him but am unable to keep up in my sleepy state. Once we're both standing in the driveway and have established Jake's car is still here, I fully wake up, the seriousness of this situation hitting me.

"You start driving that way and i'll start running the tracks," I announce, patting the pockets of the jumper I pulled on before leaving the house to see if a set of keys are in there. They are. "Take mine."

I lock up and then throw Ethan the keys, pulling out my phone and seeing if Jakob has his location turned on. He doesn't. Would it be too easy if I just called him? That doesn't seem like the right thing to do right now. Once Ethan has pulled out the driveway I start to run. I follow the running tracks with my phone flashlight the only thing lighting my way. It's 3am and I can't say I'm not scared, but the fear for Jakob is taking over everything. Soon I'm on the esplanade, checking all the shops even though they're closed. My heart is racing but there's no way I'm going to be able to stop until I know he's safe. The only things lighting up the dark grass are the dim street lights, the moon covered by the clouds. No one is here besides me- at least, that's what I thought until I saw someone sitting on the edge of the jetty. Please no. It is; it's Jakob. I know by the way he's sitting, his feet hanging off the end of the jetty and his hands resting on the rail, his chin resting on his right hand. I don't have to get too close to know he's crying, either that or he's shivering - it would make sense since he's only wearing a t-shirt. I walk up behind him slowly, taking off my jacket. He doesn't know I'm there until I drape the jacket over his shoulders.

"Oh... Did I wake you?" Jakob asks, trying his best to sound like he's fine even though I know he isn't.

"No, Jake, it's okay. Why did you leave?" I have to ask, not knowing what his reaction is going to be.

"I just... had to..." he trails off quietly. Even in the dim moonlight I can see the sadness in his eyes.

"Me too." I say without thinking. It takes him a few seconds to realise what I meant.

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" I ask.

"For making such a fuss. This is about you, not me." Jakob tells me.

"No, no, Jake, it's not like that at all. This is about me, you, Ethan, Melika and the baby; it's about all of us. You're allowed to feel whatever you're feeling and you can express that any way you want. Do you really think I'm not upset and not completely and utterly terrified too? Of course I am. I mean, I'm moving away from everything I grew up loving- my friends, family, city... Then there's you guys. You and Ethan have been my rock for years now and I don't know what I'll do without you around. God, I'm so fucking terrified this will all be a waste. It seemed like a good idea when I made the decision, but now the time is actually here it all sounds so stupid." I start talking, Jakob staring down into nothing, just listening to me. Then he finally opens his mouth.

"Do you love her?"

"What?" I ask, confused. That seems so unrelated.

"Do you love her?" He repeats.

"Of course I do."

"Then it's not stupid."

And in so many ways, he's right. But in so many other ways, that scares the shit out of me. I'm leaving.