1. |

*15 months later*
// Ethan's point of view //

I hear a key in the door and shut my laptop, quickly turning on the TV. I'm writing more songs that I don't want the boys to see and I want to keep that a surprise. We bought a house in Sydney where we stay together. It's been surprisingly easy living with two other 17 year old boys in the same house. We're working on the foundations of a new album but haven't got far. I'm excited to say the least but I was really enjoying how laid back the last year was. We've still done a few things, maybe one small show every few months. We're definitely still out there and our fanbase is just as big.

"Hey." Jakob announces as he walks inside. I move my gaze away from the TV to look at him carrying shopping bags.

"Need any help?" I offer.

"Nah, I'm all good."

He disappears into the kitchen and I turn my attention back to the TV. Not long after that my attention is directed to my phone which is currently going off next to me. I read the caller ID: Ashley.

"Hey." I greet, turning off the TV and picking up my laptop.

"How at you?" She asks as I make my way up the stairs.

"I'm good, how are you?"

"Mum just got off the phone with Auntie Tina... She's having a little grief moment and I needed to get away." She admits and I already feel bad. Ashley is Kade's cousin. I met her after our last show in Sydney over a year ago. She lives in Sydney not far from us and I've become quite close with her.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I lay down on my bed, watching my ceiling fan spin around and around.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Ashley sighs. "Can I still come over tomorrow?"

"You can come over any time you want." I tell her. I hear a clashing sound from the kitchen and sit up instantly.

"Thanks, Etho."

"Yeah, um, I think Jakob just broke something. Is it okay if I call you back in a minute?" I ask, standing up.

"You don't have to call back." She tells me.

"It's okay, I will." I rush before hanging up and dropping my phone on the bed.

I reach the kitchen to find a big, sloppy, red puddle on the floor. Tinned crushed tomatoes. Jakob is on his knees, swearing to himself as he picks up two tins. I watch as he accidentally cuts himself on a sharp edge. That's when I move.

"Jake, calm down, it's okay." I reassure him, crouching down by where he's kneeling and bringing him to his feet.

"I fucked up again." He swears to himself but loud enough for me to hear. I think he's referring to yesterday when he smashed a glass by accident.

"Your finger." I sigh, spotting the blood trickling down his hand.

"I'm okay. Just let me clean up." Jakob moves away from my touch but I grab his wrist, pulling him back to the sink.

"Run your finger under there for a minute and I'll clean this up."

Surprisingly, he doesn't hesitate. I'm just cleaning up the last of the tomato when he kneels in front of me, taking the sponge from my hands. His hair lightly brushes my forehead and I have to move back. We're too close. Things have almost gone back to normal between us but there is always something. It's been hard to ignore lately.

"Is Ashley still coming around tomorrow?" Jakob asks randomly.

"Yeah. Are you still going to George's soccer match?" I reply.

"It was cancelled because of the heat." He says. I look up to find him still staring at the ground, scrubbing away. Chris is going out to see Lara and Jakob wasn't supposed to be here. I thought we'd have the house to ourselves.

"Oh."

"I'm sorry." Jakob suddenly apologises, looking up at me. He caught me staring even though I didn't know it myself.

"Don't be sorry." I look away, standing up to avoid the tension.

"You can go." He mutters quietly, looking back down to the kitchen floor.

I do. I walk out silently and make my way back up to my room. Straight away I pick up my phone and find Ashley's contact, clicking on it and bringing my phone to my ear.

"Is everything okay?" She asks straight away.

"He just dropped tomato. There's a change of plans for tomorrow, too: Jakob's going to he here with us." I have to tell her.

"Oh, that's okay!" Ashley replies way too cheerfully. My heart drops the slightest bit.

"Why so happy?" I tease.

"Uh, the more the merrier, right?" She recovers, stumbling a little bit.

"Am I missing something?"

"Nothing at all."

Ashley and I talk for another ten minutes before she is called for dinner. I walk downstairs to find Chris coming in the front door, holding two tins of crushed tomatoes.

"Here, Jake." He announces, sliding the tins across the bench to Jakob. He just smiles half heartedly and puts the tins away carefully.

The rest of the night we spend making pizza and a mess. Most of the time we're just cleaning up food off the floor and eating. Chris has a stain up the left of his shirt because he slipped and fell, and I somehow have grated cheese all through my hair. Both of us avoided messing Jakob up because of his seemingly sad mood. I don't know what's going on there but I'm sure it will be fine tomorrow.

At around midnight, I decide to go to bed. The boys stay downstairs and watch TV while I head upstairs. After brushing my teeth and getting ready, I get into my bed and get warm. I think about how my day with Ashley and Jakob could go tomorrow. I'm not sure why I don't want Jakob here but it can't be that bad, right?

•••

I open the door to a smiling Ashley. Her long, blonde, wavy hair falls over her shoulders, her eyes, green like Kade's, shining up at me. She's wearing denim shorts and a white top.

"I bought Nutella!" Ashley squeals, pulling a jar of Nutella and two spoons out of her bag.

"Oh my god!" I imitate her, letting her in and shutting the door behind her. I turn around to follow her up the stairs and see Jakob in the kitchen.

I snap out of my little moment and start after Ashley who's already walking past him, flashing him her trademark white smile. Then, once she has passed, his eyes drop, checking her out. My stomach drops. He is not allowed to look at her that way. I shake all of those thoughts away and run after her up the stairs.

"Jakob can come join us if he wants." Ashley tells me as I walk into my room, finding her sitting cross legged on my bed.

"Um, okay..." I trail off, turning around and calling Jakob.

"Nutella!" He yells as I hear him running up the stairs. Ashley just laughs so I do too.

A/N: this is a shitty first chapter but I wrote it at 4:00am driving to Melbourne. good things are coming I prOMISE.