Remember Our Love Chapter 27

Tom did as I asked. I had been transported to his ship and lay in his bed just listening. I had been asleep for sometime so no one knew I was awake yet.

"Tom, this is a bad idea," his father said. "You know she will be lucky to survive the night, let alone the entire journey. Just listen to her breathing, it is raspy, we all know what that means at this stage, death is just around the corner. Please just take her back to the hospital, she may hold on longer there or they could at least help her and we will bring the children there to say goodbye."

"I don't need people reminding me how long I have left with her, I am perfectly well aware of it. She has only asked one thing of me, take her home to our children and let her die in peace there. I will do that for her, so whether she makes it or not, I have carried out her dying wish... and taken her home," Tom said his voice breaking off.

"Oh come here son," I heard his father say.

I heard the hug, the back patting, the sound of him crying again.

"Please don't count my time down with her, it is precious enough," Tom sobbed. "I am trying to hold it together but every time I see her my soul screams! I want to beg her not to die, not to leave me but I can't upset her. I want to steal her away and not share her with anyone, even the children, I want her remaining time to be with me and me alone. I want to hide her from death and let it take me instead."

"I know son, I know," his father said hugging him tighter.

"I don't want to live without her, I can't live without her, she is my life. I let her down again, I couldn't save her! If she hadn't met me, if I hadn't fell in love with her and asked her to marry me... if I just had the strength to be selfless and let her go, she would be living a normal life of a lady somewhere safe and sound. Instead I cursed her with a pirates life and now she lies dying," Tom said to his father.

"She loves you and I know she would not want you thinking that way, she would never take back or trade a single moment she has spent with you. You are as much her reason for living, as she is yours," his father replied. "I will Captain the vessel," his father said. "We will go as fast as we can and other ships are coming to sail her home with us as they did with Angela. Now go sit with her, hold her hand until the angels come."

"Just give me a few minutes I don't want her to see me like this," Tom said.

"You think of all the good times, even the ones where she has yelled at you because that is passion, that shows she cares. When she chased you around here with that knife, when she jumped overboard and you went straight in after her, when she pulled her stitches in her hand after sneaking off with you. All the stolen moments, the secret kisses, every kiss she gave you, every moment of love. You take all that life and wish it back into her and I will do the same, who knows it might give her enough strength to hold out till we get her home," his father said and started to cry. "I'll go as fast as we can and pray for the wind to find our sail."

I heard them hug and pat each other on the back. I closed my eyes to stop myself from crying. I didn't want Tom to see.

A while later I felt him holding my hand. I opened my eyes to look at him as he knelt at the side of the bed.

"Hello handsome," I could barely whisper. I tried to smile at him.

He lowered his head and I knew he was trying not to cry.

"Don't hide from me," I whispered.

He shook his head, "I'm sorry," he whispered back and burst into tears. He looked up as tears fell over my cheeks too.

He stretched an arm out over my waist and put his head on the bed as he broke his heart. I stroked his hair and tried to soothe him.

"I'll hold on as long as I can, I promise," I said, "But if I don't make it, don't you blame yourself." I took another shaky breath, my chest wheezing. "You have made me so happy. I'm so proud to be your wife Thomas Tyler. To have your children and have you love me back. I wouldn't change it for the world."

I continued to stroke his hair as I drifted off to sleep again. I was barely able to stay conscious for more than a few minutes lately.

Again as I rested I could here people talking. Michael was talking with his father, whispering.

"He is not going to last long without her, I know that. I never used to give much thought to the whole dying of a broke heart thing, but I truly believe it will happen with Tom and it terrifies me," Michael said. "I was never one for praying either but I have been praying so hard that if there is a god, he must be sick of hearing my voice."

"Well if we all pray loud enough together maybe we will get his attention and he will show us some mercy and grant us a miracle, god know the girl deserves it. Tom too," his father said.

I knew that there was no reprieve for me. It was my time, I just had to settle my affairs. Part of me wished I had died a quick death during the battle, that way Tom wouldn't have to watch me suffer and the other part wished I had the strength to get out of this bed and run to him, hold him close and never let go. I don't want to die, it's a terrifying thought and I would give anything to just be able to sit up and hug my husband and to make it home to see my babies face on last time.

Virginia entered the room. She smiled weakly, tears threatening her eyes.

"Here I have brought you some warm soup, please try to take some," she said as she sat on the edge of the bed and held the cup to my mouth.

I took a sip, most of it spilling onto the cloth she held under my chin. I coughed as I choked on it, gasping for breath.

Tom ran into the room.

"She's ok just tried some soup," Virginia said.

"Leave us," Tom said as he held his hands under my back, sitting me up in his arms to catch my breath.

"Tom... is she..." Virginia said.

"Just leave," Tom said, tears in his eyes as he tried to steady his breath and Virginia ran from the room sobbing and calling out for Michael and Robert.

I caught my breath, and lay in Toms arms looking up at him, my chest wheezing. I knew it wasn't long now. He gazed down at me stroking my hair, smiling weakly, as tears raced down his cheeks. I raised my hand to stroke his face.

"My Captain Tom.... my Pirate Captain," I whispered as I gazed into his eyes.

"Don't leave me Ella, please..." he whispered.

"Just hold me like this," I whispered. My hand falling onto his chest where I could see my name etched. I touched it, feeling myself grow weaker and my eyes widened as I realised I couldn't raise my chest anymore... this was it...

"Ella... Ella... Stay with me, please..." Tom begged as the darkness drew me in. "Oh god please don't go... I love you, please don't go..."

For the next book in the series http://www.wattpad.com/story/1346637-the-secret-of-monkey-island-the-my-pirate-captain