Remember Our Love Chapter 3

When we finally reached the New Province port I was off the ship and straight down to Nassau where Monkey was last seen.

If the past was anything to go on I wouldn't need to look for him. He would find me. So Virginia and I traded for medicine and supplies. We asked about the coves and went back to the ship. On the way to the ship we dropped a trail of monkey's favourite little bits and waited for him to show.

Ted had got some good news. He knew the cove we were looking for and we had to head off immediately. I was so sad that we had not found monkey but we could return another day, this was more important.

As we sailed towards the cove. I felt a familiar little body climb my leg.

"Monkey!" I shouted. Oh he looked awful and smelt terrible. He was skinny and covered in cuts and bruises. He had obviously snuck on board when we weren't looking. He hugged me close like my children did and made my heart swell.

Virginia and I took him down stairs to clean him up and feed him before we got to the cove. He was very patient and it was just like bathing a baby, he put his arms up when we asked so we could wash him, sat in the little wash bowl as we cleaned him up. He would have to be naked for now as his clothes were ruined. I took one of my red dresses and cut away at his clothes to use them as a template for new ones. He lay with Virginia swaddled in a blanket as she rocked him and sang him a little song. He loved every minute of it and fell to sleep.

"He has been through a tough time bless him," she whispered as she lay his tiny swaddled body on the bed to rest and came to help me make his new clothes.

"Trim away the stitching and we can cut the material to match so we know they fit him," I said.

As we cut away the material Virginia gasped. I thought she had cut her finger but she hadn't. She was holding a little piece of paper.

"It was in an inside pocket," she said as she opened it.

It was a map.

"Ted!" I called.

He ran into the room looking alarmed.

"There is a map in monkey's clothes. Where is it for?" I asked as Virginia passed it to him.

He looked at it.

"It is some sort of treasure map but I don't recognise the coast line. Your father in law may know it better. The mark at the bottom shows it to be Rosie's map," he looked puzzled. "She must have hid it on him."

"Captain we are approaching the cove," Billy announced.

We all ran up on deck.

"Ahoy there crew of the Revenge we are here to grant you safe passage home," Ted shouted. There was no answer. "Lower the boats, we are going in," he advised. "You two stay here and get the medical supplies ready. If we find anyone dead or alive we will be bringing them out to either return to their family or buried at sea. So be prepared this will not be pretty".

We nodded. My heart frozen in anticipation but racing at the same time.

The boats were lowered and they rowed into the cove. Ted shouting to announce who they were.

Virginia and I ran to fetch water, food and blankets. When we got back up on deck Virginia screamed in shock and surprise. There was Michael barely recognisable with long hair and a beard. She ran to him and flung herself into his arms and he held her like he would never let go as she sobbed her heart out.

My hand flew up to cover my mouth as I stared in shock. I scanned the boat looking for Tom. I couldn't see him.

"Ella," Michael said. He walked towards me. I didn't like the look on his face.