"It's not real!" she giggled as she threw her head back with laughter "But it's a stuffed bee, uncle Cas gave it to me when I was a baby!" she hugged it close to herself and he grinned.

"Really? Oh wow I would have never imagined. And do you have more animals like that Mary? Stuffed, not real."

She laughed as she looked up at him a little shyly, nodding her head "Yes, I love animals. My room is filled with them, I could show you one day."

"And which one is your favorite? Is it this little bee?"

"I love the bee but my favorite one is a moose daddy got me for Christmas, but it's really big and I can't carry it around with me." she pouted slightly and Sam gave her a half smile.

"It's ok little one, one day you'll grow up and you'll be able to carry it around easily." he grinned at her "I was smaller than you when I was your age actually."

"No" her green eyes widened as she looked at him in wonder "But you're so so tall now!"

"I know" he chuckled "My big brother doesn't really like it either but I loved growing up to be taller than him. Meant I could tease him more." he laughed and she giggled.

"Who is your brother Sam?" she tilted her head to the side asked the most simple question a kid could have at that moment but not one that could be answered so easily given the circumstances.

So as that silence fell and Sam glanced at you, going serious without having to say a thing and for a moment you could understand just why. You decided to break the awkward silence by clearing your throat.

"Sweetie-" you spoke up and she turned to look at you "Was there something you wanted?"

"Uh ye-yes." she fidgeted with her stuffed animal "You promised we were going to make chocolate chip cookies today mommy and I'm getting really hungry. Daddy said that- that since we have guests I shouldn't interrupt but-"

"It's alright, baby." you smiled softly, not daring to look at Sam as she uttered the small word as you walked towards her and picked her up "Besides, I'm sure Sam would love to help making them. Right, Sam?" you looked at him as he was staring at you with almost wide eyes.

Maybe it was because you felt guilty, maybe it was more than that, or maybe it was because he actually deserved to come closer with her and her to get to know him. As much as part of you wanted to deny that, and oh you hated yourself for that, he was her real father and she'd have to find out in the end.

"I- yeah, yeah I'd love to. If- If Mary doesn't have a problem?" he asked softly, looking at her as she grinned and shook her head.

"Yes! Yes!" she giggled, glancing at Sam with an adoring smile.

"Al-alright then." he breathed out a little nervously, looking at you as you gave him an encouraging smile.

"Baby why don't you go in the kitchen with Sam and show him all the stuff we need, he can help you get them." you told her and she nodded her head with a smile as you kissed her cheek.

You set her down and she looked at Sam who was standing nervously there, just looking at her with almost tear filled eyes "Come on!" she grinned, taking hold of his jeans and guiding him towards the kitchen.

"You didn't tell her." it wasn't a question but a statement, after a few minutes when Jody went to talk on her phone.

"How could I? And what the hell am I supposed to tell her first?" he let a small growl, running a hand down his face "I just- I couldn't. It's not... not my-"

"Don't you dare." you gritted your teeth, looking at him dead serious "You've been the father Mary always wanted and needed. You raised her, without you she wouldn't have been born. She owes her life to you as much as she owes it to Sam so don't you dare tell me that now that Sam is here as a biological father he has more rights than you do." you felt your voice crack in the end but you didn't care.