Letters for Whom?

Start from the beginning

Laurens nodded, "Of course."

"You are another aide de campe of the General, oui?"

"Yes, I am in fact."

"Are you close with Monsuier Hamilton?"

Laurens laughed loudly and for a long time, "Yes, yes, Alexander and I are rather close."

Lafayette's grin grew across his face, "Oh? And just how close, hmm?"

Laurens coughed and changed the subject. "So, what's it like in France?"

"Oh you know, no one cares who loves who and how," Lafayette rose his eyebrows suggestively, "There's always a scandal going on and if there isn't, riots break out."

"Is that so?"

"Indeed, in fact, I think America may need a good scandal here soon, how about the eloping of two aides? That sounds juicy indeed."

Laurens turned completely red, "Dear Lord, sir, please, this isn't appropriate."

Lafayette sighed, "No, I suppose not. Far too French."

***

Lafayette was transported to Moravian Hospital, where he would spend a good length of time recovering with bed rest, to his dismay. He cursed his leg periodically since it kept him from the action, but he was glad for the opportunity of befriending John Laurens, he was a good man. 

He received news periodically on how the war was faring and every time, he'd leap out of bed and begin cheering or cursing. His nurse scolded him soundly every time and he'd slink back to his bed.

One day, she walked in with a heavy letter, "Marquis, you've got a letter from James Madison, I had no idea you were acquainted," she said, handing it over.

"Neither did I," Lafayette mumbled, distracted by the red wax seal his eyes immediately stuck to, a phrase popping into his mind.

White for acquaintances, yellow for Monticello, green for work to be done, blue for bedfellows, red for urgency, and black from the deathly Hallows.

The woman left and Lafayette stared at the elegant black ink on the front of the letter, To The Marquis de La Fayette. How did the woman know it was from James Madison? Lafayette turned to letter over and looked at the seal, she must have recognized that then, or perhaps the courier told her of its origin. But why would James Madison, a man Lafayette didn't even know, be writing to him?

There was only one way to find out. Lafayette broke open the red wax seal and pulled out a piece of paper and two more envelopes addressed to Thomas Jefferson. Now he was really confused but perhaps the piece addressed to him would explain. He set aside the letters addressed to Thomas Jefferson and unfolded the one addressed to him.

Dear Marquis de La Fayette,

You do not know me and I'm confident in my beliefs that you are highly confused as to why I, James Madison, a man of which you have never grown acquainted much less ever laid eyes upon, write to you. I assure you, all will become clear as you read on. I do, in all good confidence and highest hopes, pray that you continue to read this letter from a man unbeknownest to you. I pray you hear me out.

Approximately one year ago, the year of 1776, shortly after you penned the Declaration of Independence, you came to me with an elaborate plan, a plan that I at first, I must admit, was entirely against with my most deepest passions. However, you would not let up and I eventually conceded on the condition that you wouldn't leave your old life behind. You graciously accepted and you and I set up this system. I know you are questioning every sentence and are entirely lost, but allow me to continue my long and complicated explanation.

You used to be a man called Thomas Jefferson, a respectable, highly honored gentleman of good faith and excellent standings. Why you left such a life behind evades me still, even after your heartfelt explanations. With my help, Thomas Jefferson disappeared from the world and you became a French nobleman called La Fayatte, it's all solid to even where your alias even exists in France. However, your standing in American politics and creation is a vital position and I could not let you abandon it entirely, so we created this system of letters. I would write you and send with it all the matters you must see to as Mr. Jefferson. This letter should trigger your memory, and I bestow to my sincerest apologies for bringing your other life back after so little time has passed but the fact of the matter, as God is my witness, your disappearance cannot last forever, the nation requires your guidance. People are searching for you now and some are calling you out on abandoning the Revolution, tearing apart your legacy saying that you never truly believed the Declaration you wrote since you abandoned it the first chance that allowed you to do so.

And so, Major General Lafayette, Mr. Jefferson, I write to you now with the purpose of bringing you back to the nation. There are matters that you must see to, starting with the two letters I have enclosed, on being marked with a white seal for acquaintances that are trying to contact you and the other being marked with a green seal for the work you must see to. 

I welcome you back, even if it is against your wishes,

Your Dearest Friend, 

James Madison

----

Warnings: None?