Chapter 7: MidKnight

I stare out the passenger side window, my head leaning up against it as I watch the scenery pass by.

  Today is Saturday, exactly two days after I was almost trampled to death. Two days after I was confronted by Dravin.

   Yesterday - which was obviously Friday, I'd done my usual schedule; walk to school, attend school, follow Dravin after school, go home for supper, and walk around after supper.

   Only instead of following him from a distance, I practically just walked along beside his quiet self, rambling on about anything I can think about to say - which can be a lot.

  I still haven't gotten much out of him. Thursday being the most I've ever heard him talk at once - because you know, it's been that long. Not.

  I'm currently sitting in the passenger seat as mom drives me to the birthday party I was invited to. We've just finished driving through Central Park, and now we're on West 79th Street.

   It's busier here than the specific area we live in. Buildings looking like they're even more squished together, buzzing crowds of people walking down the lamp lit street. 

   I tilt my head to the left, checking the time on the dashboard: 8:25 P.M. The party was supposed to start at 8:30. So I guess we're making good time.

   Only another minute passes and the voice in my moms' GPS alerts us that our destination is on the left in twenty feet.

   A apartment building that's about ten stories tall sits in between shops, people walking absentmindedly by.

   "Alright," I glance over towards mom as she speaks. "I expect you to behave yourself and not get into trouble." Mom lists off. "And if I so much as smell a hint of alcohol in your breath, there will be major consequences young lady." She stares over at me, serious.

   I nod. "I know mom, you've only said this like ten times already." I give her a smile, hoisting my camera strap up my shoulder.

  "You can never be too sure, Heavyn." She looks out the front. "I used to be young once also. I know how these parties work."

  I roll my eyes, patting mom on her shoulder. "I'll be fine." I assure her, checking the traffic before opening my door. "I've got my phone and my friends are planning on bringing me home." I remind her, stepping out of the car.

   "Bye Heavyn. Remember to be home by twelve." She waves, a small smile tugging on her lips.

  I wave back, pulling my towel and the present out of the jeep before shutting the door. I wrap the towel around my neck, stepping up on the sidewalk.

  Mom pulls out, disappearing the way we came from.

  I walk up to the fancier - and that's saying something, apartment building, punching in the code I'd been given to get in.

   The door buzzes before unlocking, and I swing it open. Taking the elevator up to the roof, I tap my foot as I wait. Fifteen seconds later, the door slides open, revealing a party at full blast.

   So much for it not starting until 8:30.

   A large pool sits smack dab in the middle of the roof, the water reflecting all the colored lights they have hanging everywhere.

   A four foot tall railing goes around the perimeter of the roof, the flimsy looking thing the only thing keeping you from falling ten stories down.

   Teenagers stand around in groups talking, a large crowd already in the pool. Loud pop music fills the air, mixing with all the chatter.

   There's a banner hanging over a decorated table that's says: Happy Birthday Jana. Presents littering the tabletop.