Chapter Nine: Past Sins

[A/N: I won't be active from 7/19 - 7/23 due to me being out of state. I'll be sure to update asap.]

"I'm. . . Breaking up with you. It's not you, I promise it's not your fault, It's mine." A young Hibiki said. I watch as Angela, whom I had a relationship with for almost a year at that point, turn around and cover their mouth to avoid crying out loud for myself to hear. 'It's raining outside, which made me feel even worst in that moment.' I think to myself, holding my stomach due to the ghostly sick feeling I felt once again. "Why, Hibiki. . . Why out of all days, you choose to break up now?" She asked as she turned around to face my younger self in the eyes. I shutter, 'The rain, it's getting heavier, but so is this moment. Why didn't I notice this before?' "I just think that it was time for you and me to see different people. High school is starting soon, and I don't want you focusing on me, especially since you're going to move. The last thing I want is a long distance relationship and leaving us both heart-broken." My younger self spoke with sincerity, or at least as much as he could. 'That's a lie, it was because I was too scared to having a relationship anymore since my dad and mom separated. I was scared of it happening to me and her.' I think, now gritting my teeth as it progressed.

 "So that's it? You're too scared that I'm going to get hurt that you decide to hurt me now instead of feeling pain later?!" Angela said with an angry yet curious tone. Both my younger self and I tense up. "W-what? No, I just want the best for you, Star! Trust me, if there was another way around this, I would take it. But I've seen how long-distance works, and with us being so young it'd just be a toll on both of us. I love you, I promise." He reaches to hold her hands but she pulls away and pushes him a bit. "No you don't, stop lying to me. If you did, you wouldn't be hurting me at all!" She straightens up and takes a deep, shaky breath before speaking again, with pain and conviction in both her eyes and her words as her tears fell. "Mom was right, I should have chose Peter instead, because at least his family is still together." Those words struck a nerve with me, and to this day I still feel it in my bones. I look upon my younger self's face and see his eyes, filled with unbelief.

"What..? W-why would you say that?" He mutters, doing his best to hold back his own tears as he shakes in his shoes. Thunder rumbles outside, "Because at least then I'd have a boyfriend who isn't weak. I'd have one who believes in a future with me and not just for a moment, and you know what? I'm glad that you're breaking up with me, I'm glad that I don't have to see you ever again, Hibiki." I knew she was saying that to numb her own pain, but it still hurt. It felt wrong, it felt like I did something wrong. "Don't talk to me ever again, Hibiki. Don't even knowledge me at school, or else you'll regret it. And remember these words, because it will echo the rest of your relationships." She comes close and whispers them in my ear, sealing my fate up to this point. "I hate you, and no one will ever love you like this again. You made your choice, and now you'll suffer for it." And with that she walks away from where we're standing and towards her parent's car, leaving my younger self alone to feel the pain. "This is where it all began, where your heart turned dark and you changed forever." A voice behind me said. I didn't bother looking behind me, I didn't have the strength at this moment, all I had was the tears flowing down my face. The being lowered in front of me and held my cheeks in their hands, "It's time to wake up, Hibiki."