Chapter Sixteen

Un-edited

2094: Chapter Sixteen

            I place the dull pencil on the dusty old desk. My hands cramped from the words I just wrote. But it wasn’t just my hand that was in pain. Every part of me hurt. I am exactly like the pencil; worn out and battered.

            Sophie sits silently in our room as well, lost in her own thoughts.

            I lean back in the plastic chair near my bed and place my hands behind my head. I sighed as my thoughts drifted back to River and me in Nova Vida.

                                                                           *

            After he had pulled me away from Kuro’s deceased body, we ran through the hallways searching for the others. The others only being Reagan, Zed, Whitford, and Abby since everyone else were dead.

            When Reagan saw me her eyes lit up, and she ran towards River and me. She collided with my body almost knocking me over.

            “I thought you were dead!” she yelled, throwing her hands in the air. Reagan’s hair was knotted and all over the place. She was covered in blood that I’m pretty sure did not belong to her. You could still see the tear marks from when she cried over Chase’ body.

            “I’m alive.” I barely whispered to her. 

            “We need to find my father,” she told me. Though Reagan was trying to hide it I could see the worried look in her eyes.

            She doesn’t mention anything about the distant look in my eyes, but instead runs in the direction of the elevator.

            Whitford was looking at me with an emotion I didn’t think was possible for him. Relief. He sighed and turned around, following Reagan. I abandoned River, and tried my best to catch up to Whitford. Zed, Abby and River followed behind us.

            “That was stupid of you. Almost getting yourself killed, just so you could see Kuro die,” Whitford said quietly to me.

            “I’ll keep that in mind the next time someone kills my best friend.” Whitford gave me a knowing look, but didn’t say anything. I fell into step behind him. The rest of the walk to the elevator was silent. Everyone was thinking about the ones we lost. I was trying my best to think about anything but that.

            When we had made it above ground, Reagan ran straight to her father who was eagerly waiting for us to arrive. Reagan and Zed filled in Warren on everything that had happened.

            I looked around speechless at what was before me. The whole meadow and forest that they had been fighting was covered in blood and dead bodies. When Kuro called off her guards, the resistance must’ve killed them on spot. I suddenly get a nauseous feeling looking around at everything, and I have to close my eyes.

            This is inhuman. All of this killing. No mercy. I can’t let this go on any longer.

            “Warren, I need to speak with you.” I said. “I need to tell all of you something.”

            After I had told everyone my secret they were all surprised. A few were mad that I kept that from them. River looked at me with shocked, but he didn’t seem mad that I hadn’t told him. He actually seemed happy that I did. Whitford watched me with a slight encouraging smile. But Warren just stared at me with a hard expression.