Chapter Eleven

2094: Chapter Eleven

            “I think I could do cannibalism. If I had to,” Chase admits starring at his food. He then looks up to Reagan, River, Dani and me. We all sit in the cafeteria room eating breakfast.

            “Suck on my stringy calf-meat,” River says jokingly.

            “Gross, you're not a girl,” Chase yells. We all give him a confused look.

            “I don't think I know how to respond to that,” River says quietly.

            Dani sighs, and we all go into a long silence.

            I’ve been at the rebel base for one and a half weeks now. Most of my time here has just been Warren watching me while I fight in the training room. The whole was very nerve racking, but eventually he pulled me over to him, and told me that I pasted his test.

             I guess it wasn’t literally a test. He just wanted to see how I am in a fight. Warren had also told me that he was so amazed with my skills that he wanted me to come on the next run above ground. I was confused on why he had accepted me so quickly. Maybe I’m confused because I know that I had lied during the truth serum, and they don’t know, but I still feel as if they trust me too easily. Not that I have anything against that.

            River has been extremely trustworthy of me lately. And I hang out with him the most while I have been living down here. Mostly all we do is fight in training room, and he has yet to be me. I’m not sure what’s up with him though. When he first saved me it seemed like he hated me, but I know he it perfectly fine with me.

            Whitford hasn’t made an appearance yet, but people seem to not be worried, so I guess I shouldn't either. I’m not the biggest fan of Whitford, but I still feel like we should’ve made him come with us, instead of walk.

            Sophie, my roommate, does remind me of Whitford the tiniest bit, but she is different. Her and I have started to talk more, but we only see each other at night when we go to bed because she gets up extremely early to spend the entire day in the training room. I also found out that Reagan and her go back pretty far. Their families knew each other before the zombie apocalypse happened. But Sophie’s parents had died during the beginning of it. So Warren, Reagan, and Sophie were the first people to be in the rebel base.

            I notice Warren walking over to us. He has his eyes on Reagan in particular. When he reaches our table we all stop talking. “I’ve already told Imogene about the run we’re going to do, but I might as well inform you all now,” he begins, everyone listens intently. “All of you,” he points at everyone sitting at the table, “Will be going to a town named Chersons. Last run, some of the other rebels ran into this town, and saw that there were piles of ammunition. They weren’t able to get it all back to the base, so that’s why I need you to go and get it.”

            “Where is the town?” Reagan asks her dad.

            “Not too far away, but I will give you guys a map, so you don’t get lost.”

            “When are we leaving?” River questions.

            “Tonight.”

            Pounding steps run up to Warren. “I want to go too.” It’s Sophie. “You never let me go on any of the runs. I want to help the rebels, not just be one of the people that watch from the sidelines. Have you seen me in the training room? I’ve become a lot better,” she asks strongly, not in a whiny voice, but more of a professional voice.