Chapter Eight

Un-edited!

 2094: Chapter Eight

            Sometimes, I look up at the sky and wonder if the stars are actually there, or just something we've put there because we needed something to remind us how small we actually are.

            I shake my head, clearing these crazy thoughts. Breathing in the cold nights air, I looked towards the sky. Small specks of light separated the empty darkness. The stars. It amazed me how the stars were so far away, yet we could see them so clearly, even if they looked a billion times smaller.          

            I took a few steps forward, and shivered, curling myself up to keep warm. I breathed in slowly, and smelt nothing. Only the emptiness of the air. It was beautiful.

             I have been with the Resistance for two days now. We haven’t made it back to the base yet, so I haven’t met Warren. Although he does sound intimidating. Mostly everyone has taken a liking to me, except for Whitford and River. Whitford hasn’t even spoken one word to me. But River, has been trying to annoy me the whole time I’ve been with them.

            We will be going back to the rebel tomorrow. Right now I’m on watch, while everyone sleeps. The tip of my nose feels like I’m about to get frostbite. The weather has gotten quite cooler, since I’ve been out here, even though I haven’t been in the wild for that long.

            I find it insanely strange that while I was living in Salvatore going through school classes, these kids that are my age, were out here having a war. The apocalypse has been going on for seven years, and I’ve only been living for one of them. The rebels have been here for all of them.

            Dani had fixed my wounds up very well, even better then Kuro had with the bite on my arm. It turns out that they had gotten quite successful on their run for medicine. Dani had my ankle wrapped along with my arm. She had also wrapped my head, and gave me some Tylenol for the major headache I had.

            Leafs crumpling behind me, pull me out of my trance. I turn around swiftly, aiming the gun in my arms at the zombie. But I let out a long shaky breath when I find out that it’s just Whitford.

            He seems to go out every night, and he gets back right before sunrise giving him a few hours before of sleep. I’m not sure how he’s able too continue doing this without getting tired.

            “You’re on watch?” Whitford asks me with major confusion. He lets his bloody knife that he was probably killing zombies with, fall to his side.

            “Yes,” I answer with no emotions. Like Whitford I let my weapon fall to my side.

            “Stupid. These people are stupid. Letting you go on watch. For all we know you could be working for Nova Vida,” Whitford whispers harshly. He takes a step forward holding out his hand for my gun.

            “Why do you want my gun?” I ask him, but I give him the gun nonetheless.

            Whitford rolls his eyes. “Stupid questions get people killed,” he tells me. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. First of all, this isn’t a situation where I could get killed. And second of all, it wasn’t a stupid question, I just simply wanted to know.

            He takes the gun from me, and puts it near the pile with the other weapons. “Go to bed. I’ll take over watch,” he tells me, already turning away.

            “Don’t you want to sleep? You’ve been up all night, and I’ve only been on watch for an hour,” I offer.

            Whitford shakes his head. “I don’t need any sleep. You go.”