Part Three: The War

Part Three: The War   

            2094: Chapter Thirteen

            “Oh.” I begin. “That would be a lot to think about.”

            I’m shocked. That’s all I can think, all I can say. I didn’t expect that to happen, let alone from River. Why did he kiss me? I’ve only known him for two weeks. You can’t fall in love with someone if you’ve only known them for two weeks?

            Giggling from behind us fills in the silence. I turn around, and spot a girl. She’s older than me, probably by two years. She has stunning long, wavy black hair, and toned olive skin. The girl has brown, almost black eyes are filled with amusement as she stairs at us.

            “I’m sorry. If I knew you guys were... busy, I would’ve let you be,” I can tell that she’s holding in her laughter as she says this.

            River looking embarrassed grunts out, “Just go away Abby.”

            “Trust me, I would if I could. But,” Abby begins, “Warren sent me up here to take over watch. He said you guys need to sleep, since you’re leaving for the big fight tomorrow, so if you don’t mind,” she points her hands towards the stairs. 

            “Whatever. Lets just go,” River demands taking my hand. I pull away, but still continue to walk with River to the stairs. He pulls open the trap door, and we both go down it. Before I leave, I catch Abby staring at us, she still has loopy grin on her face.

            I close the trap door behind us, and River and I are plummeted into silence. We go down the steps not speaking a single word to each other, but eventually River breaks the silence.

            “So, what do you think?” I give him a confused look, so he adds on to his sentence. “What do you think about the idea of you and me?”

            “I’m,” I start, “I’m confused that’s for sure. But I can’t bother to think about that. I just need to keep my attention on Nova Vida. You understand that right?”

            He looks at me, and I can practically see the hurt in his eyes. “Yeah, totally.”

            We quietly walk down the stairs. Guilt starts to creep up, as I think back on what I had said. But the truth is I don’t want to like him, and I don’t want him to like me. I don’t want anyone to miss me when I’m gone. I was thinking about what will happen when I tell Warren who I really am, and the reality of it is that I will have to sacrifice myself. If they know I’m the cure, they’re going to want to save the world.

            I don’t want anyone to be sad when I’m gone because that will be worse than the guilt I’m feeling right now.

            We make it to the end of the stairway. I open up the door, and quickly walk out, trying to avoid River as soon as I have the chance. He doesn’t make the effort to walk beside me.

            I decide it would be best to follow what Warren said, and get a few hours of sleep before we leave tomorrow. I walk by the cafeteria room, and it practically looks abandoned. It must be one in the morning right now.

            Finally, when I make it to the bedroom, I sneak in silently just in case Sophie’s sleeping, but when I go in I find her wide awake. She’s staring at an image, but it’s impossible to tell who it is of. I notice to tears falling down her cheeks, but she quickly brushes them away.

            “You okay?” I ask, sitting down on my bed.

            “If you defy okay as completely and utterly miserable. Then yes, I’m okay,” she says, sounding way too old for her age.