Chapter Two

Again I haven't edited this chapter, so ya. ENJOY! Drop a comment below!

2094: Chapter 2

            A pounding in my head wakes me up. I'm not technically awake, because my eyes aren't open. Opening up my eyes would be too painful at this moment in time. The lids feeling like they weigh hundreds of pounds. I have to open up my eyes though; otherwise I'll never know what hit me.

            What if a zombie has bitten me?  

            What if I'm a zombie right now?

            What would happen to Aster?

            Where is Aster?

            “Imogene! Are you alright?” a voice says, but I can’t register it. I groan, so whoever is there knows I’m not dead.

            I peel my lids apart and the blurry forms of Eli and Aster come into view.

            “I’m so sorry Imogene! I thought you were one of those...things,” Eli apologizes, with worried eyes.

            “Idiot,” I grunt at Eli.

            He smiles, happy that I’m not dead. “Good to see you too.”

            "I wish I could say the same thing, but you just hit me in the back of my head with a club. So sorry, I'm not the happy to see you," I scowl at Eli, while pushing myself off the dirty carpet. I rise to my feet dusting off my shoulders, finally taking notice of Eli's appearance. His usual leather jacket is now covered in a thick layer of blood and dirt, along with his pants and shoes. His dark brown has lots of dust in it. However, it was mostly by looking into his green eyes that I could tell that he had been through a lot.

            "How long has it been since I’ve been out? What happened to you?" I ask, curiously.

            "It’s dark out, so about eight hours now. It's a long story. We should probably focus on getting out of the city first," Eli shutters and starts to turn around, but I push him back, so that he's facing me.

            "Seriously Eli, what happened?" I question him.

            "Fine," he sighs. "When I was about to leave for school, I heard a loud thump from upstairs, where my mom was. My dad had already taken my sister, Eden to school, so I went to go and investigate what was going on. Once I made it upstairs I saw my mom standing by the window in her room. I couldn't see her face, but I already knew something was wrong. I called out to her a couple times, but there was still no answer. When I walked up to her to get her attention, she turned around. Her face looked like it had rotted off. And her eyes…they were the worst. Her eyes, which are usually hazel, had turned to a light blue, sort of like your right eye,” he says pointing at my face.

            “Once she noticed me, she started to moan. It almost sounded like she was growling. She charged at me. I didn't know what to do, so I ran away, and tried to lock her in her bedroom. But that didn't work; she just ripped through the door. By that time, I had already grabbed a knife from the kitchen. When she came running down the stairs to where I was…I s-stabbed her," Eli begins to cry, "I stabbed my own mother. I know she wasn't my mother then, but…" he breaks off into a loud wail.

            I hug Eli around his shoulders, but I’m too short, and he’s too tall, so it turns out sort of weird. Eli has always been the softy, but I had never expected him to burst out into tears.