Chapter 17// Alina

Start from the beginning

"I don't want to push you but you should really think about it. It's been years Alina." She ended.

For the rest of the time we cooked in silence. They boys were still sleeping and the food was nearly done. Alia made coffee, some more tea and freshly squeezed oranges for orange juice. Everything was practically done. I started the wake up calls since they won't be getting up on their own. Well at least two of them because Mark, well I never had to wake him up before.

I knocked on Dads door before opening it up, "Foods done dad." He moaned and stretched then sat up.
I smiled because I missed our morning routines.
I went upstairs and knocked on Alters door. "Get up foods ready." I said pushing on the bed.

"Ugh get out I'll be down in a second." He said shuffling in his bed. "Now!" He groaned as I shut the door.

I headed down to the master bedroom where Mark was, "Knock knock." I said before entering.

He was in the shower so I didn't know whether or not to tell him breakfast was ready or just come back in a few minutes to let him know. I heard the water shut off, so I immediately try to leave.

"Alina?" He said as I was near the door.

I stopped in my tracks not daring to turn around. "Sorry I didn't know you were, uh foods ready." I said leaving the room awkwardly and shutting the door from behind me.

I heard him laugh. "I'll be down." He called.

I knew exactly what he was doing, shaking his head planted with a fat grin on his face. I rolled my eyes at the thought of him and his playful expression. I also smiled at the thought of him shirtless and steamy from the shower. I can't believe I didn't even sneak a peak, that was temptation but again, we're just friends. We really could never be together together anyways.

——————

We all excluding Alter had sat down for breakfast and began to dig in. It was completely awkward between Mark and I again for like the millionth time for the week. We exchanged small and quick glances at one another but no proper eye contact. Was I making things awkward? I just hope nobody sensed awkwardness because nothing should be awkward between the two of us. Friends aren't awkward.

"So Mark all I know about you is that you're Alina's partner in a class, you play soccer, and you must really hate holidays with your family." Alia said.

I looked at her crazy. From the corner of my eyes Mark looked at me. "Alia!" I whined.

"Don't worry I assumed the last one because you're here with us and you're not even in a relationship with my sister." Alia said bluntly.

"Alia." I said sternly.

"Well you're not wrong." He laughed it off, mostly at me. "I hate the holidays with my family and I took the offer Alina had given me." He said confidently. "I'm glad it's been worthwhile thus far. Y'all are a refreshment from my life back in Kansas."

I smiled at his kind response.

"So Mark do you think you want to go into a league or do you have a plan with your education?" My dad asked.

"I love soccer but I think I want to run a small business that may pertain to soccer. I'm not sure if I want to go pro just yet." He said taking a bite from the bacon. "Traveling for so many years seems like a commitment and I don't know if I'm ready to take such an offer. In all honesty that's the only attribute I hope to obtain from my father, business skills."

"Business is a great field." My dad said. "Either way you'll be a money maker. So your father is a business owner?"

Mark nodded. "And it consumes him, it always had cake first before me or my brothers, even his wives."

"I remember when Lina and Lia were athletic." Alter said fixing his plate. "You know you two both could be money makers like your big brother and Mr. Morelli."

"Alter shut up. I'm still athletic." Alia said offendedly.

"Eh I need to get back to running." I said shrugging my shoulders.

"We know." Alter said jokingly.

I gave him a look.

"Alright alright." Dad said. "So your parents are they divorced?" He asked referring to Mark.

"Dad." I elongated.

"It's cool, yes sorta. I was really young when my mom stopped coming around so I think they eventually did get one." He said calmly.

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that." My dad said empathetically. "Well your man raised a fine, young man. He should be proud." My dad stated.

I looked at Mark sincerely. He smiled in return, finally stealing a stare from me. I knew that Mark and his older brother practically raised themselves into the men they were today, their dad do not deserve that recognition as a father considering what he put them through.

"So how many siblings do you have?" Alia asked.

"I have two going on three." He said.

"Oh so you have a half brothers?" She asked.

"Alia." I said again this time agitated. 

"What? We're just tying to get to know him." She said shaking her shoulders.

"I have a full brother and a half brother, my dad remarried so I have a step mom." He said glancing at me, I felt like I was getting more flustered than he was. "She's pregnant again so this will be sibling number 3 to me."

"Interesting. Well what do you do outside of playing soccer and avoiding your parents?" Alia asked.

He laughed. "I enjoy the outdoors." He said shaking his shoulders.

"Ahh so you prefer grass soccer rather than turf?" Alter asked.

"In a heartbeat. But D1 is all turf."

"One on one grass?" Alia asked shortly after Mark made a comment.

Alter pointed at Alia. "Let's do it." He yelled a little loud.

Mark looked at me smiling. I smiled back in return. I was getting butterflies. Am I crushing on Mark Morelli?

"That's good to hear." My dad said snapping me out of my trance. "Come on son let me show you a few things." He said standing up referencing to Mark.

Mark took another glance at me for reassurance.

I nodded to assure whatever it was would be fine.

"You do know that he likes you?" Alter said gathering up our dishes.

"Are you kidding me? I already went over this. We're friends." I said. "Just friends."

"That doesn't stop him for liking you." He argued.

"How was last night?" I asked ignoring his
statement.

"It was good, Mark had all the hotties." Alter said.
"Made me a little jealous."

"Oh really?" I asked knowing he was attempting to get under my skin. I rolled my eyes.

"Don't do that." He turned to me.

"What?" I asked innocently.

"You can't get jealous or mad at him." Alia said putting her two sense in.

"I'm not jealous or mad, I'm just a little curious." I said in defense.

"I call bullshit." Alter fake coughed.

I sat quietly, I didn't know what else to say. I did feel jealousy rise and I was more than curious on who he vibed with. But Alter and Alia was right I couldn't get mad. We weren't a couple, we weren't dating, we were only friends because of me. I was too scared to let my heart go again. I was afraid that I lacked physical affection and that's something Mark seemed like he had wanted. It was best that we remained friends although it kills me to imagine him with someone else, he deserved a wholesome woman that will be there entirely for him.