Chapter 23

So when we hit 1K I updated an extra chapter, but we hit 2K yesterday, when I was updating anyway. So, here's a bonus chapter. Thank you guys so much again!!!!!!

"It's going to be fine," Fitz repeated for the umpteenth time. Sophie was lying back on Biana's bed, Fitz sitting near her head. The seven teenagers had met in her room while Physic treated Oralie and the Collective met. Biana paced back and forth frantically.

"How? What are we going to do?" Sophie asked hopelessly.

"We'll figure something out," Keefe put in. "We always do. You always do."

"Great. Put all the pressure on me."

"I just meant that it'll be fine. It always works out."

"Right, because Mr. Forkle and Calla and Kenric dying and me and Dex being kidnapped and Wylie being attacked and–"

"Sophie." Fitz braided her hair as he tried to think of ways to reassure his pessimistic Cognate. In less depressing circumstances, Sophie would have wondered how he could braid so well. Biana must have taught him.

She fiddled with the moonlark pin on the cord of her allergy medicine necklace. She pictured Calla. What would she say? She would tell Sophie some inspiring story from her past and whisper about how she was the moonlark and she could do it. She sighed. It was so hard to motivate herself, but the gnome would want her to do her best.

Sophie sighed. "Okay."

"That's the spirit, Foster!"

"But what can we do without talking to the Collective?" she protested.

"When has that stopped you before?"

"We don't know where they took Amy!"

"Presumably the same place as your parents," reasoned Tam.

"Okay, well where's that?" Sophie retorted.

Tam didn't have an answer, and Sophie was back to feeling hopeless.

Fitz stood up. "I'm sure the Collective is meeting now to make a plan, and they'll tell us when they're ready. And Physic will let us know when Oralie is awake. Until then, there's nothing we can do. So we can either feel depressed, or distract ourselves." He pulled Sophie up off the bed, embracing her. It's going to be okay. I can't stop you from worrying, but that doesn't mean I won't try to.

She smiled. Maybe you can tell me what you were going to earlier. She smiled at his nervous blush. Don't think I've forgotten.

He rolled his eyes. I see how annoying this is.

She smiled innocently. "Fitz and I are going to do some Cognate training," she announced to the group.

"Of course you are," Dex muttered. He said something else about "Wonderboy," but Sophie ignored him. She followed Fitz to his room.

"Soph," he began, taking her hands in his. He seemed so serious she was starting to wonder if he was dying or something. He stared into her eyes.

"Is it bad?" she asked, nervous.

"No! Just– I don't know how to say this."

"You already told me you like me," she reminded him. He smiled, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"This is a little bit harder."

He bit his lip. Sophie looked at him, concerned. He seemed to gather his confidence.

"Soph. I think... No, I know... I love you."

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!! Omg!!!!!!! I just love Sophitz so much do I needed to add in some more!!!!!!!!!!!!