Chapter 15

"As moving as that speech was Miss Foster, we cannot go without punishing you in some way. Like you said, we must protect the public by showing them that rebellions cannot get away with whatever they want," Emery said.

"That's not what I said! I said that you need to show the public that the Black Swan is on your side!" Sophie protested.

"I know, but we must ease them into this idea. Just recently, we thought the Black Swan was evil. We know otherwise now, but the public may not accept this idea right away. I'm not saying you will be arrested, but you will have to put in work at the Sanctuary every day."

Sophie sighed with relief. She had been so scared that her message had been lost on the Council.

"We will also let Grady go. News of his arrest has not yet reached the public. Councillor Oralie will also not be punished, although I think it would be wise to hide her involvement with your group for now," Emery continued.

Sophie nodded gratefully. The group all leaped back to Everglen to regroup. The Collective met in the dining room. Sophie was going to Biana's room with Linh when Fitz stopped her.

"Um, Soph?" There was that nickname again! Sophie thought it was odd, but she actually liked it quite a bit. Biana stared at the two. Can I talk to you? Fitz transmitted, so Biana wouldn't be able to hear.

Sure, Sophie responded.

She followed him to his room. Just before she entered behind him, a voice stopped her.

"Hey, Foster!"

Sophie spun around to look at him.

"No need to be so annoyed with me. Can I talk to you?"

"Keefe, Fitz actually just asked to talk to me." Sophie rolled her eyes.

"Please, Sophie?"

Figuring it must be serious if he used her first name, she relented, transmitting to Fitz, I'll be right back.

Keefe led her into a guest room and sat down on the bed. She sat down next to him. "So," he began.

She waited for him to continue.

"Um, remember that night when Oralie came to talk to us? And after I..."

"Yeah."

Keefe sighed, looking away from her. "I've tried hinting at it and I feel like you never get it."

"Get what? Keefe, what's wrong?" She rested her hand on his arm to comfort him, but he shrugged it off.

"Sophie, I love you," he said finally. "I know you don't feel the same way. I mean, I can feel how you feel about Fitz." Sophie blushed. "I just couldn't go on without you knowing."

"Keefe, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say."

"Then don't say anything." He got up and stormed out of the room. He seemed more sad than angry, though.

Sophie sat on the bed, stunned. How could she have been so blind? She couldn't believe that she had hurt Keefe like that.

Eventually Fitz came in. "You okay?"

She just shook her head. He sat down next to her and she buried her head in his chest. He held her close as she shook with sobs at the thought of hurting her friend. Sophie could just barely feel his lips pressing against the top of her head as she sunk into him.

Omg!! I feel so bad for Keefe I almost didn't want to write this. Sophitz is cute even when it's sad, though. See you tomorrow!!