Chapter 20

Finally, Physic stepped forward to check both teenagers for signs of shock. "Sophie, obviously this is a very hard time for you, but you are handling it surprisingly well. You don't appear to have suffered any more trauma than Fitz."

Although the words were meant to be reassuring, Sophie felt completely devastated. She gripped Fitz's hand as Tiergan stepped forward, holding out her memory log. "Since I can't get past your blocking, you're going to have to project the memories for us to see them." Sophie nodded, but couldn't seem to make her arm reach out to take the small notebook. Fitz took it for her and led her to the foot of the bed.

With shaking hands, Sophie projected image after image. It all felt horrifyingly real when it was on paper in front of her. She handed it back to Tiergan. The Collective looked over the pages, and they must have been talking telepathically, similar to what the Council did.

Physic walked over to the two and said, "Why don't you go do something fun? Amy will wake up in about half an hour."

"Okay," Sophie said quietly, and she and Fitz left to find the others, who were presumably still in Biana's room. While they were in the hall, Fitz stopped.

"I get it if you don't want to talk about it, but I'm here for you. As your friend, as your Cognate, and as your..." He trailed off, looking into her eyes. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, hugging him.

Their moment was interrupted by Biana, who threw open her door. Sophie was too exhausted to care that anyone was seeing her and Fitz together, so when she turned to look at her friend she still stood very close up him.

"Have you guys seen Keefe?"

"Not for a couple hours. He kinda stormed off," Sophie replied.

Biana fidgeted nervously. "No one can find him."

"We'll help you look."

Linh, Tam, and Dex joined the search party, and the three of them plus Biana looked inside while Fitz and Sophie searched outside.

As the couple wandered through Everglen's expansive yard, Fitz slipped his arm around her waist. "Soph?"

"Yeah?"

Fitz looked nervous, and he fidgeted with the hem of his tunic with his free hand.

"What?" Sophie asked, anxiously stopping in her tracks.

"No, it's nothing. I was just... going to tell you something," he said, mumbling the last few words.

"Tell me what?" she asked, concerned.

"It's not bad. I just don't know how to say it."

Sophie looked up at him, cocking her head slightly. He leaned in and kissed her gently. She pulled back, smiling. "Just tell me."

He sighed.

"Don't you trust me?"

"Of course I do," he responded quickly. He opened his mouth again, but didn't speak, as he was peering through the gathering shadows at something past Sophie. She turned to look, gasping softly when she saw a familiar figure sitting beneath a tree. She moved to go to him, and Fitz moved to follow her. I don't know if he would want to see you. With me.

Fitz nodded and let her walk over to sit next to her friend.

I just want to say thank you again for all the support this has been getting, especially recently! I can't believe so many people like my story! See you next weekend! <3