Chapter 8: Another Chace

Start from the beginning

“I’m sure getting nervous.” Drew said.

“Same. I hope I’ll pass this and get awesome group mates. But I really hope to be with you guys.” Desiree said.

“I hope so. And I really have to beat that Chace!” I said.

“I know you can do it, Lauren! You’ve been in the library for so long taking down notes.” Desiree said.

“I hope so.” I smiled faintly.

“Okay, class, attention please!” Mrs. Flinston said as she clapped her hands to get our attention. “I will introduce to you your judges for today.”

We all went silent and waited eagerly for the judges to be introduced. I wonder who it would be.

“Our first judge would be none other than our principal Mr. Dexter Sim!” Our principal went in and there was a round of applause as he sat in his seat. “Next up is Mrs. Marielle Smith, the owner of the very famous Cafe améthyste. And the other one is me.” Then Mrs. Flinston sat at her side of the seat.

Marielle Smith? She’s one of the famous pastry chefs here in France! I can’t believe she’s here to be our judge! I really have to do this. I have to impress her!

“The mechanics will be it can be any dessert you prefer but it must be in reliance to our theme, ‘Fresh Sensation’. Second, no groupings allowed. Thirdly, no asking of help.”

“If you are finished with your work, come in front here and let the judges taste your work. Now, to get your materials and ingredients, you must go to the seventh floor and get it all there.”

So we all went up and we all slowly chose what ingredients to take.

First, milk. I need to choose fresh milk. It gives out a better taste for me.

Second, two mint leaves. Big ones.

Third, 6 egg yolks.

Fourth, sugar.

Fifth, cornstarch.

Sixth, vanilla extracts.

Seventh, chilled heavy cream. That would be on the refrigerator.

This is the ingredient to the mint cream. Now I need is for the puffs!

Butter, salt, 4 eggs, all purpose flour.

After that, I took some measuring cups with me and even pans.

Oh don’t worry, I put them all in a basket so that I won’t have to carry them by hand. That would be heavy.

We all placed our ingredients in front and Mrs. Flinston looked at all of us one by one.

“Since everybody’s ready, you will start in five...four...three...two...one! Go!”

Wow, how pressuring.

I first made the mint cream because I have to cool it after doing it.

In a small saucepan bring the milk to a boil with the mint, remove the pan from the heat, and let the mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain the milk through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on the mint. In the pan, cleaned, whisk together the egg yolks, the sugar, the cornstarch, and the vanilla, whisk in the milk, and bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly. Simmer the pastry cream, whisking, for 3 minutes (it will be very thick), transfer it to a bowl, and chill it, its surface covered with plastic wrap, for 4 hours, or until it is firm.

Next, the puffs. This is going well for now.

I’ll first preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Centers should be dry.

Now, all I have to do is wait.

I looked at Drew and the others.

Blake was waiting. Also Desiree.

Drew was the only one designing his creation immediately.

His eyes fixed on the tart he’s making and his teeth biting his lips.

I was woken up from my deep thoughts when I realized Blake was looking at me.

“Wha-what?” I blushed red. He must be thinking that I was checking on Drew!

He smirked. And it wasn’t just any smirk, it was an evil one then he said, “Nothing.”

You know, at first I really thought Blake was a totally silent guy. You know the one who just knows how to smile, laugh a bit and talk only when he needs something. But then again, never judge a book by its cover.

**

Yes! It’s done!

I put it in a plate and started my way to the judges. I was about to put down my plate when I noticed someone beside me, Chace.

I turned around and saw no one else was left but us.

“That looks delicious.” Mrs. Flinston said as I bring down my plate to their table.

“We’ll first examine hers since she got here first than you, Mr. Chace Smith.” The principal said looking at Chace.

The first one to examine it was the principal.

He took his fork and cut his share and ate away.

I couldn’t distinguish what look he was making. A good look or a bad look, it was hard to distinguish. It kind of looks...confused.

Next up was Mrs. Smith. I hope she likes it.

She sliced open the puffs I made then ate first the mint cream before the shell outside. After that, she mixed both shell and cream then she made a good look on me.

After that was Mrs. Flinston. She immediately ate the whole puff and her face was still neutral as ever.

Did I do good? That I don’t know. I can’t understand their faces.

“Your puffs are pretty delicious. But there’s something you’re lacking.” The principal said.

“Emotions. That’s what you lack. As I ate this puff, it was delicious but when eating more of it, I felt nothing. I don’t feel the exciting feeling of the mint. I felt fresh yes, but it feels like I feel fresh only in the mouth. But don’t worry, you’ll be able to learn more of that here.” Mrs. Smith said.

“I agree.” Mrs. Flinston smiled at me. “But as a freshman here in the academy, you did pretty well.”

“Yes, you have potential Ms...Finn? Lauren Finn?” Mrs. Smith asked.

“Yes. Lauren.” I said smiling like crazy.

“Well then, I hope the next time I try your puffs again, the taste would get better. You may go now.” Mrs. Smith said and I politely waved them goodbye.

As I went out of the laboratory, I opened my phone and searched for Desiree’s name. But when I found it, something hit me.

I smirked.

An idea hit me and I didn’t call Desiree anymore. Instead, I leaned on the wall and...

“I guess you have improved my son.”

Son? Wait, Mrs. Smith? No way...

“Though you have a little problem.”

“What?” I heard Chace said flatly.

“Love.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think will happen next???:D

So far so good? Or not?

@JeneaYu ! Tadaaa!:)) You were right on the other chapter!!!:D

I'll be posting the picture of Mace as Zac Efron. Oh by the way, they're not twins. :) They just look a like. :D

Sooooo, who likes Mace?:D hihi!:)

Keep the comments coming!:)))

-SmileyKari :)