He took in the sigh you were in and once he heard more pounding on the door and the all too familiar voice his jaw clenched and he was instantly in hunter mood. You'd been out of it for quiet some time but that didn't mean any of you forgot it, it just ran in your blood. You couldn't stop being hunters, not when you grew up as that and it was all you knew. He grabbed your arm and pushed you behind him protectively as with a small growl he opened a drawer and pulled his gun from under some books you'd put there in case Mary opened it. You didn't want her to come face to face with a gun, much less have to know about your past. Not until she was ready.

"Stay behind me." he said in almost a growl and handed you another one and you took it shakily.

"Hey-" he started, holding your hands softly but firmly.

"Dean? Dean! It's me, really. Please open up." Sam's voice sounded in exactly the same way he'd call out to his brother and Dean glanced at the door for a moment almost believing it was really Sam. But he proceeded to purse his lips and shake his head.

He looked back at you as he followed to cup your cheek "Stay calm, please." he said softly to you, kissing your forehead "I got this."

He turned to the door and held the gun in front of him, ready to open the door. Even if it wasn't Sam you weren't going to let a demon just use his body or whatever other monster use his face and walk around so easily. Needless to say, and you really didn't know how to feel about it, he actually... was Sam.

Your Sam.

He didn't do anything, he only raised his hands in surrender. Didn't even fight and both you and Dean got a little more suspicious when he walked over the devil's trap you had under the doormat. But still you wouldn't let anything show, it could be a shapeshifter for all you knew. But Dean did the tests, all of them and you were there. Watching carefully as moment after moment he passed each and every one of them. And his eyes were constantly on you. Even when you decided not to look their way you could feel his eyes on you, making you shiver in a way that you knew all too well.

And when you looked at him and your eyes would lock you'd swear for a moment that it was indeed Sam. You only pushed it away as your own wishful thinking and your emotions taking over. You wanted to look away but for some reason you couldn't. Your heart was hammering inside your chest, you could even hear the blood pumping in your veins when you stared at him. Your hands were shaking, hell your entire body was, and the temperature seemed to be getting higher with each minute passing. Sam's eyes lingered on you the way he'd always look at you, one more sign that made you think it was him. It was that intimate, shy, sweet and loving way he'd look at you every morning you woke up next to him.

It made you shift in your seat and look away, sighing heavily as you ran a hand through your hair. Dean of course picked up on it, looking at you without your realizing it. His own face was slightly crestfallen as he stared between you and his brother before clearing his throat and focusing on his task.

When all of it was over Dean started asking him questions only the real Sam could know... and that was when it started downing on you.

"Sammy?" Dean breathed out as tears welled up in his eyes when he looked up at his younger brother he thought he'd lost for good this time.

"Hey Dean" a smile broke on Sam's face, he too emotional as the two brothers didn't hesitate a moment to hug each other. You saw as they both closed their eyes and squeezed each other, an almost sob leaving Sam's lips and you placed a hand over your mouth more tears welling up in your eyes. No matter how messed up the situation was you couldn't help but feel happy that they had each other again.

You knew how much Sam matter to Dean and vice versa, and even if there were a lot of problems to face , the fact thatthey had each other was more important than anything. You ha suffered a lot yourself when Sam died but that didn't mean you had not seen how much it hurt Dean. It tore him apart on the inside and it was much obvious. When Dean thought that you were sleeping you'd actually walk out of your bedroom to find him drinking, already having finished half a whiskey bottle, as he looked through some photos of his with Sam and other people you loved.