Chapter 1 ~ What's Going On?

“Oh my God, Skylar! Can you believe it!?”

Smirking, I finished putting my books in my bag and shut my locker. I turned, and looked at my brown haired, grey eyed, best friend who was leaning on the locker next to mine.

Still smirking, I said “Oh my god, Jenn! Can you believe what?” mocking her previous squeal.

Jennifer frowned at me. “Are you mocking me?”

I scoffed and grinned. “Of course not!”

She looked at me skeptically for a moment before she had an identical grin, and then grabbed my arm, dragging me down the hallway, and threw the stampede of students.

“Whoa there Jenn! You still haven’t answered my question!” I had to practically shout over all the noise. She stopped so abruptly that I smacked into her. “Hey! What are you—” but I got cut off.

“You seriously don’t get it? I thought you were joking!” she looked at me incredulously, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Um, no?” I asked, more than stated.                                                                

“Tomorrow’s the last day of eighth grade! We’ll never have to step foot into this building again!” As we walked outside she stopped again and put on a superior expression. “We’ll be in High school. High school, High school, High—”

“Yeah, yeah, Jenn, High school, I get it” I interrupted, laughing.

She gave me a ‘look’ and sighed. “Whatever” we looked at each other and burst out laughing, once we finished she said “come on, or we’ll miss the bus.”

We hooked arms, laughing, and set off toward the busses.

********

My mom, Rachel Cherry, originally Rachel Hansen, was born and raised here in Minnesota, with her eight brothers and sisters. Then she moved to California, where she went to college. While there she met my dad, Michael Cherry.

A year later I was born, Skylar Faye Cherry, yes, my last name is Cherry, and it’s pronounced like the fruit, I think it’s awesome! We lived in California for four-and-a-half years before we moved to Florida, where much of my dad’s family now lived. About a month before we moved, my little brother was born, Bryce Logan Cherry.

We lived in Florida for over a year, then we moved again, to Minnesota. I have lived in Minnesota ever since the start of first grade. About four years ago, we traveled across town to my current home. Later that summer, Jennifer Anns and her mom, moved from Nevada, into the house next door to mine. We’ve been best friends ever since.

***********

All the way home, Jenn and I talked about our plans for the summer. I couldn’t wait for tomorrow to be over! Summer Vacation!

We were interrupted when Mitchell, a kid in our grade who also rides our bus, stood up and practically yelled “What the hell’s going on up there?”

We all looked to where he was pointing, up ahead you could see bright flashing lights, and hear the blaring sirens. Everyone tried to get a better look, and it seemed that ambulances and police cars were all crowding around a house and its driveway.

As we got closer I could see which house was surrounded.

I froze in my seat, and all my blood ran cold.

My house.

*******************

Soooooo.... what do you think, its just a start.

What do you think the police and ambulances are there for? HMMM?

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

ADD TO LIBRARY