The Literature Of Possibility -END- «Oda Sakunosuke»

"Calla Lily. Lily: Strings of Fate," I mutter, a soft blue glow engulfing me in a warm embrace.

Before me are several strings of varying colors with mine hovering close to me in a color of purest white, something I find ironic given my past. But it's not just my string that I'm after. Searching from the several looms surrounding me, I finally spot his string- a reddish-brown thread that beats weakly from the rest.

As I thought, Oda will die with this decision of his. His thread is already close to being snipped by the three fates. If Calla could read the living then Lily could read the dead in a way but only the death of those I've met. The closer one was to death's door the clearer their cause of death would be to me. It only works if that person is still alive though.

It's like reading the future but unlike Oda's, I can only foresee a moment in a certain future- that specific moment- meaning the scene of their death.

As I touch the thread, several scenes play before me, cramming itself in my head forcefully until my eyes blur and I nearly ram my head at the headrest of the car from the intense headache.

A final showdown.

In a mansion within the mountains, both will die- a single shot to the heart will finally bring peace to the wandering specters.

A final good-bye. I can see Dazai and I by his side, his lips moving but I can't hear what he's saying. All I see after is Dazai and I rising, faces unreadable and the scene ends.

So their final showdown will not use their abilities. Dazai had told me of the oddity and the singularity of abilities that they heard from Ango. No wonder Oda and Gide will fight without abilities. But even if they did use their ability- only two will die.

And Oda will not be one of them.

"Calla Lily: Entrapment of Fate."

The reddish-brown string hums to life at my touch. A stinging sensation pricks at my heart and I turn to see my own string- the white thread dulling in shine and I smile.

"Even their gift will not be able to avoid this."

--*--

"I suggest you reconsider."

The unknown boy's warning makes Oda pause, eyeing the male before him curiously. Rain pours from the sky in terrible torrents, the perfect setting for a terrible conclusion.

"And why is that?"

The youth's emerald eyes pierces him while casting him a somber expression. "Because you will lose something important to you in this exchange."

Did he mean his life?

A bitter smile makes its way to his lips. "I know."

"Then you are a selfish man," The youth merely says, Oda ignoring his words as he walks away from him and towards his demise. Only he could end Mimic. The face of the store owner and the kids surfaces in his mind at the mention of the ghosts that spirited them away, he couldn't see anything in this future after all.

Such a shame, he at least wanted to create a novel before he died but he had already lost that qualification the moment he picked up the gun.

'O-da... Tell me. What do I do? Now that even you have shown me that there is no hope to change. Will I forever be trapped in this world? You told me there was a way out but even you can't escape your own...' He could recall her words as he trudges on to the mansion indicated in the map, wondering if there was something he could have said to make her take that back.