"What were you saying?" Astoria asked her friend as they walked to breakfast.

Pansy frowned. "The Mud- Granger girl got Head Girl this year," she said, stopping herself before she said "Mudblood" in Astoria's presence. Astoria's late mother had always hated the word, and, as such, she and her sister refused to say it. 

"Who's Head Boy?" Astoria asked.

"Harry Potter, of course," Pansy snarled, glancing over at the Gryffindor table where the Boy-Who-Lived was eating breakfast with Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

"It's Pothead, Pansy," Draco corrected loudly as they sat down at the Slytherin table. Pansy laughed, and Draco looked incredibly pleased with himself. "Must be tough for the Weasel, won't it? His best friend and girlfriend living together..."

"Oi, Ferret! Shut up before your teeth fall out!" Ron called from the table opposite theirs - the Gryffindor table.

Draco stood up, followed by most Slytherin seventh years, excluding Daphne and Astoria. "Make me," he said, his lip curling.

Potter stood up quickly, his sudden movement rattling his table. "Gladly."

Suddenly, almost all Gryffindor seventh years were also on their feet, wands out.

"Draco!" Astoria hissed, looking up at him. "You don't want to do this. Sit down before anyone gets hurt." Despite her warning, his gaze remained straight ahead, ignoring the girl as if she was a fly buzzing around his head. "Draco!" the sixth year said, a little louder.

"Does somebody not want to fight? I suppose that's what to be expected from a Slytherin," Seamus Finnigan jeered, pointing his wand straight at Astoria.

Suddenly, everyone looked at the pleading girl. Draco pulled her up, lip curling, and she knew that he was just saving face and Slytherin's reputation.

At the expense of her getting hurt if the fight started.

"Nice try, Malfoy, but I guess some people were just born to be cowards. Stupefy!"

And suddenly a red light was hitting her chest and she was falling backward, head hitting the cold hard floor with a gigantic crash...

And Draco's emotionless face blinked and then disappeared into a void of black, along with everything else.

"Astoria, wake up!"

The girl woke up to see Pansy shaking her roughly.

"Hi," Astoria said quietly, just now noticing the hospital bed she was sitting in. "What happened?" she asked as she eyed the other patients - all Slytherins and Gryffindors from that morning. "What time is it?"

Pansy squinted at the huge clock above the entrance to the hospital wing. "One in the afternoon. We all missed lunch for you, so you better be grateful."

Astoria smiled at her friend. "We?"

"Draco's waiting outside. Blaise and Daphne visited you already but you wouldn't wake up."

"Oh. What class do we have now?"

"Care of Magical Creatures," Pansy said, her tone sardonic, "Wouldn't want to miss that."