Chapter 6 - Favor Number Two

I decided I will update every Wednesday. Hopefully. Haha! 

--

Chapter Six

There's a reason why Tim was so well off in academics and extracurriculars: his parents had the money. Ever since he was younger he was always more fortunate than most kids our age, being able to afford the best things money can buy. He got a hard time because of it, and even I'll admit I've felt resentful of him and everything he was able to afford: private tutors, instructors, and everything else I couldn't.  

But when you took a closer look, his parents never let that get to his head. Tim was well mannered, never capable of hurting a fly. Even as my competition, he had never thrown me a dirty look or deliberately attacked me in any way, shape, or form. It was actually a pleasure to compete against him. If he got Valedictorian or salutatorian instead of me, I'd be heart broken, yes, but I could think of no one better to receive those titles. 

The money in his pockets was also why he gladly accepted accompanying me to the reception. His parents were big time contributors to the community, so he was relieved to know he wouldn't be alone. 

"So, what's he like?" A self-absorbed Angelica examining herself in my mirror interrupted my train of thought. 

I couldn't help the abrupt and awkward 'huh' that came out of my mouth. "Who's who like?"

"Your date. Duh."

"Oh," I laughed. "It's not much of a date, but...he's a really nice guy..."

"Nice?" She repeated the word like it was gum on the bottom of her shoe. "Do I know him?"

"I doubt it. His name's Tim. He's in most of my classes, so I doubt you've ever seen him. I've known him for while, though." 

"Oh, asian right? Wants to end you, academically speaking." She said, right before swearing under her breath at her smeared eyeliner. 

I smiled to myself. "Yeah. He's a good guy, though."

"Right, I was thinking we could all sneak off and go to the park. Maybe go get some Mickie D's, since it's so close by. " With a dreamy sigh, Angelica seemed to be caught up one of her own fantasies. "We could get some alone time..." I never personally met Brad myself, though I certainly hoped my fruity friend wasn't treading naively in dangerous territory.

"Angelica, I'm not up for that. I doubt Tim would be up for it either."

"Well," she whirled around to give me a sly stare. "While you and Timmy are busy being uptight losers, Tony and I will have little fun on the playground." She winked seductively. I flung a pencil at her.

"Children actually play on playgrounds, did you know that?" 

By the time we were leaving Angelica's driveway, the both of us had dressed up to the best of our abilities. I'll admit, Angelica did have quite a taste in fashion, she would settle for nothing less. Her makeup only accentuated her deep, vividly colored eyes. Her red pencil dress clung to her body and hugged her curves like no other. It was a bit scandalous, if you ask me, but she wasn't any less appealing.

As for me, well--I was a little more modest; I wore a type of fit and flare dress that ended just above the knees. It was navy blue, one of my favorite colors. I wasn't a fan of makeup, so all I really went for was a bit of highlight on my cheeks and some glossy pink lip stick. Angelica protested, but hey, I was the one doing her a favor.