Chapter 4 - Two Favors

Don't forget to VCF! :)

Enjoy!

--

Chapter Four 

One week later 

Luke never personally gave his name to me. That was one detail that never failed to perplex me--let alone annoy me. I didn't bother to ask him for it, either. To ask him, "Hey, what's your name again?" would be a sign of welcoming, of interest. Frankly, stabbing myself in the eye was more appealing than hinting towards some type of moronic interest in the guy.

I will admit, however, that while Luke did not look the part, he was intelligent. And because of this, I took a major competitive disliking to him. It was the minor details that struck me the hardest; the looks of satisfaction he gave me when I encountered problems I couldn't understand but he could, the pretentious reactions when I would ask an innocent question in class, the subtle glances he'd throw at me while working silently. I never felt such a need to prove myself in front of anyone, and the sad reality was that I was letting him get to me.

We rarely talked to one another, but when we did, neither of us could hold back the scorn in our voices, or restrain ourselves from rolling our eyes at everything we did. Things would get physical, especially when his elbow would decide it needed more room than what was necessary. Next thing I knew we would be digging into each other, battling for wooden territory while Adams lectured towards the front. Of course, neither of us would speak up. I suppose what we had--it was more of a silent hatred. 

I figured if things got any worse, I could always ask Adams to move me to another table. 

"I'll be there in ten minutes." 

"That's fine. Thanks, dad." I hung up the phone just in time to see a preppy red head bouncing towards me, the golden inferno on her head lashing in every direction. Angelica's hair wasn't quite like Luke's. Angelica's hair was vibrant and reflective, with specks of golden locks here and there that would make you blink twice. Luke's was almost a maroon color, dark. I blinked a few times to get the jerk out of my head.

She held up a pair of manicured fingers. "Two favors." She said breathlessly.

"Shoot."

"One," She breathed. "I need you to complete an assignment for me."

I eyed her suspiciously. "How long is the essay?" 

She shook her head. "No, no, no. It's not an essay--at least, not yet, but I think one's coming up--It's actually a long project that I hope you'd be willing to take over..."

"Alright well, go on." I urged. 

"We're doing a pen pal project for English," She gripped her hair in frustration. Angelica seemed to be already spiraling into a state of senior panic, and it wasn't even a month into school. "Can you believe it? A fucking pen pal project! I thought we would start reading Shakespeare or something but this? This is ridiculous, I have no time for crappy letters--no wonder the woman is single! Anyway, That's why I was wondering if you could kinda do it for me, as in the writing, maybe even the sending--I'll pay you!" 

I blinked. I was seventeen years old and I had never sent a letter in my life. The closest to a letter I ever sent was a love note to James Matthews  back in elementary school. I found it in the trash later on.

"I dunno...I don't think I'll have the time..."

She laughed. "Oh please, I know you'll have the time. You stay in your house all day anyway." I raised an eyebrow.