Back to Life

Four of the five remaining rangers were carrying Billy. They took him to the morphing room where Alpha 5 was talking with Zordon.

    "Let's just put him down," Jason muttered.

    "Okay," Trini said.

    They lowered Billy onto the floor, and Trini took off her jacket. She put it under Billy's head as a pillow as Jaylyn and Jason moved closer to Zordon.

    "Master Billy," Alpha 5 asked, turning around.

    "Do something, okay?" Jaylyn pleaded. "There must be something you can do for him."

    "I told that you were not ready," Zordon answered.

    "Zordon, please help up, okay? Please," Jaylyn said quietly, tears in her eyes.

    "There's nothing that I could do for him. We were both reckless with our teams," Zordon told him.

    "No," Alpha 5 whispered.

    "I'm sorry," Jaylyn whispered.

    She turned and went back to her team, who were sitting on the steps, depressed. She looked at her team, disregarding the fact that Alpha 5 and Zordon were watching.

    "I'm sorry, guys. He's dead because of me," Jaylyn said quietly.

    "No, Jaylyn, it was all of us," Kimberly stated, standing up, looking like she had misheard Jaylyn accusing herself for Billy's death.

    "No, I pushed it," she argued. "And as usual I made a bad decision. Out of fear or anger. I don't know. I was just so angry. He's-- he's a great kid, you know? And he loved us. He loved... being a ranger. I'm sorry, Billy. I'd trade my life for yours if I could."

    The others were watching Jaylyn silently. She walked up the steps a bit and sat down. Kimberly was thinking.

    "Maybe he traded his life for us," Kimberly suggested.

    "Yeah. Probably did," Zack said, standing up and drawing all eyes to him. "I would."

    "Me too," Kimberly agreed.

    "Yeah. Me too," Trini added.

    "Me too," Jason said.

    "Me too," Jaylyn whispered.

    "It's just the five of us now," Kimberly said, moving down the stairs and turning to the others. The truth is, whatever we've said to each other, it doesn't matter. This," she said, gesturing to the circle of teenagers. "This is the only thing that matters."

    "She's right," Trini agreed.

    The others nodded in agreement with Kimberly's words. The sphere of light began to glow, turning bright blue.

    "Zordon! Zordon! Look at the grid!" Alpha 5 exclaimed. "This is your time! Do-- do you see it? The grid id open! Step through!"

    The rangers stood up as Zordon spoke.

    "Yes, I see it. I see it," he said.

    "Step through, Zordon!" Alpha 5 yelled.

    "Hey!" Kimberly cried out.

    "What's happening?" Zack shouted over the strong wind that had picked up inside the ship.

    "The morphing grid is open!" Alpha 5 explained.

    "What's going on?" Trini asked.

    Zordon yelled as his face disappeared from the wall. There was only the sound of the Rangers' heavy breathing.

    "Zordon? Master?" Alpha 5 asked, unsure.

    "Where is he?" Kimberly asked.

    "He must have stepped through the grid," Alpha 5 said.

    "Alpha, where'd he go?" Jaylyn asked.

    "I don't know where he is," Alpha 5 admitted.

    Zordon reappeared in the wall, startling everyone.

    "Zordon, what? Why didn't you step through? That was your only chance," Alpha 5 pointed out.

    "I know," Zordon answered. "But only one can come back."

    Billy coughed up all the water that had gotten into his lungs and sat up. He drew all attention to him as he looked around him.

    "Billy!" Alpha 5 gasped.

    Billy stumbled to his feet, causing four of the five other rangers to run over to him. Jason and Jaylyn stared at each other in shock of what just happened.

    "Did I die?" Billy asked.

    "Yes," Trini said.

    "No," Kimberly told him at the same time.

    "Little bit," Zack said.

    "And you guys brought me back to life," Billy stated. "I told you we were superheroes."

    Jaylyn turned back to Zordon, who was watching her carefully.

    "There can only be one Red Ranger. Jaylyn, this is your time. This is your team," Zordon said.

    "Thank you," Jaylyn whispered.

    "Dude, that was loopy. Seeing my dad," Billy said to the others.

    She wandered back over to her team, Billy looking up at her as she approached. He made his way to her and hugged her tightly. She pulled away and put her hands on his shoulders.

    "Welcome back, my friend," she said.

    Billy put a hand on Zack's shoulder as he remembered something.

    "Oh, we gotta go to Krispy Kreme, Jaylyn," he said.

    "What?" Zack asked.

    "Not for donuts," Billy continued.

    "Okay. Let's try this," Jaylyn whispered.

    Maybe they would all morph this time. For the sake of the world and all they hold dear. For all the lives that will be lost to Rita's hand. Just maybe...