Detention School

A truck drives up to a white-walled building with red trimming around the windows on the second and third floor. Three weeks have past since the prank, and Jason is sitting in the shotgun seat. His father is driving him and pulls into the parking lot. Jason's dad, Sam, looks over at him. Jason had his eyes closed, then looks out the window. He unbuckles his seat belt and put his foot on the dashboard to tie his shoe. As he does, there's a device strapped to his leg. House arrest.

    "You know, I don't think we're ever gonna understand each other," Sam said. "Just when I think you've done the dumbest thing you could possibly do, you find something even dumber and you do it."

    Jason scoffs. "Thank you."

    "I promise you, this in not the moment to be a wiseass. And I know you thinks it's noble that you didn't rat out your friends."

    "I acted alone. Beefcake and I had a connection."

    "Yeah, that's funny. You know what's not funny? This was supposed to be your season. I had scouts coming to every game. You could have written your own ticket. Now it's all gone. Now you gotta come here every Saturday for the rest of the year just so you can graduate! With all these other weirdos and criminals."

    Jason merely nods. "Yeah. Like you said, we'll never understand each other."

    Sam scoffs then reaches over to open Jason's door. There was a sportscaster speaking in Jason's mind, replaying what he had heard before at one of his games.

    "One play left in the entire game. Can Angel Grove do it? They're down by five. Jason Scott takes his position at quarterback. Here comes the snap. Wide receiver Marty Borne looks like he's open. He's getting ready for a pass. Jason Scott makes-- no, no, wait, he doesn't make a pass! What a pump fake! He's running with the ball. He's at the 20, the 15, the ten. Jason Scott scores! Touchdown! Jason Scott singlehandedly brings the team home for the championship!"

    Jason had, by now, reached the water fountain in the school. He looked up at the display case that held his jersey and trophies. As footsteps sounded behind him, he turned around to find a girl with long black hair walking towards him. He picks up his bag and leans against the wall. As the girl comes closer, he raises his hand in greeting. However, he is ignored as the girl walks passed him. The classroom is in disarray, with rap music playing and teenagers shouting random stuff. Some are sitting at their desks. Jason comes in at the top of the stairs and walks down. A bully looks at him from his chair and cups his hand around his mouth.

    "Moo!" he calls out.

    Jason ignores him as he continues down the stairs.

    "That's so funny," a girl said as other students laugh.

    "Hey, are you sure you're in the right room?" a boy asked.

    "Oh, big tough guy," another called out.

    As Jason walks by, a colored boy looks up at him. He then resumes his coloring. He had a map spread out in front of him, colored pencils lined up neatly and in order.

    "This one goes here. That one goes there," he mumbled, rearranging the pencils. He doesn't notice the bully walking towards him. "Primary colors go on this side, this one goes--"

    The bully purposefully knocks into him, making the pencils scatter.

    "I'm sorry," the bully said, bending down to pick up the pencils. "Here, let me help you."

    He picked up an orange pencil and holds it out to the boy at the desk. As he goes to take the pencil, the bully yanks it away.

    "You're a freak. You know that? I've had to watch you play with these for weeks. Are you crazy?" the bully asked, drawing the attention of Jason, who was on the other side of the room. The boy shook his head. "No? What if you had an extra one?"