Running Away?

Jason and Billy were driving on the road a few minutes later, heading out of town.

    "It's so cool you actually showed up," Billy said as they drove over the train tracks.     "Well, you are giving me the van," Jason replied.

    "Lending you the van. But, yeah."

    "How much further is it?"

    "Just 44 minutes and 52 seconds."

    "Uh..." Jason laughs. "Okay."

    "Thank you for helping me today."

    "That's okay, Billy."

    Jason stopped the van in front of the mine entrance, looking at the sign.

    "Uh... Okay, this is the entrance to the gold mine, and clearly, Billy, the sign says--" Jason started, only to be cut off.

    "Keep driving," Billy interjected with a smile.

    "Okay," Jason said, continuing to drive after a moments' hesitation.

    "If we find something cool, then you can keep half," Billy promises as they entered the mine. "It's a rule that me and my dad made."

    "Thanks, Billy."

    As they drove by, they saw miners working away. After they parked, Billy and Jason started to pull a heavy box along one of the ridges.

    "They're gonna blow this whole thing," Billy said. "It'll all be gone in a week."

    "Billy, can I be honest? The deal was I drop you somewhere, and I get the van for a few hours, okay? This is weird. Like, we don't know each other at all. I don't know what we're doing here. And you seem kinda--" Jason started.

    "Wait, I gotta tell you something, okay?" Billy interrupted. "I'm on the spectrum."

    By spectrum, he meant the Asperger Spectrum. Jason didn't seem to realize this and instead seemed very confused.

    "Well, is that like a workout program?" he asked. "Like Tae Bo?"

    "No. It's a diagnosis. Excuse me," Billy said, moving to where Jason had been standing on the other side of the box.

    "I know.  It was a joke. I was kidding," Jason explained, moving to the opposite side of the box.

    "See, that's the thing. I didn't get the joke. Like my brain doesn't work the same as yours does, you know?"

    "Yeah, well, consider that a good thing."

    "It's just that I can't read humor or-- or sarcasm. Oh! But I do remember things," Billy went on.

    "Okay," Jason said.

    "I remember everything."

    "Okay," Jason repeated. "Billy, let me stop you."

    "Okay," Billy said.

    He dropped the box, making Jason grunt. He had been holding onto the handle and wasn't expecting Billy to drop the box.

    "You don't need to tell me all this. We're cool," Jason said, standing upright again.

    "Okay. Well, we're almost there," Billy said, bending down to get the box again. "Which is good news, so..."

    Jason sighs and turns around. He starts to walk off, not taking any notice of Billy still talking.

    "Take my spare flashlight now, 'cause it's gonna be dark when we get back," he said, opening the box and not seeing Jason walking away.