Trying to Understand

Thunder rumbled across the sky, rain pouring down onto the trailer which was Zack's home. He got out a few medicine bottles and closed the cabinet door. He poured some pills into his hand, transferring them to a small plastic cup. He set the cup on a tray which held orange juice and a plate of cookies. Picking up the tray, he made his way to his mother's room.

    She lay in bed, eyes closed. Zack placed the tray at the foot of the bed before moving to help his mother sit up, putting pillows behind her head.

    "You came in so late today," she said in Mandarin.

    "Relax, mom. Stay in bed, just sit up a little bit, okay?" Zack asked.

    "I was happy just to know you'd come home."

    Zack sat on the edge of the bed and grabbed the tray. He handed it to her as she spoke again.

    "You're going to school, right?" she asked.

    He stayed silent.

    "Zack, you didn't answer me," she pointed out.

    "Make sure you take these," he told her, changing the subject and pointing to the pills.

    He stood and left the room.

    Trini walked into her dining room, where her family sat. Her mother instantly started throwing questions at her.

    "So where were you today? Were you with friends? Do you have any friends? Why are you so tired--" she started.

    "Okay, this is the problem," her husband stated, stopping her. "You ask her four questions before she's even answered the first."

    Two young boys were sitting across from their mother, watching their conversation like a tennis match. Trini sat at one end of the table with her father across from her.

    "Because she's like a ghost around here. She needs to start communicating," her mother said, enunciating her point with her hands as she turned to look back at Trini.

    "June..." the father warned.

    "Say something," June said, ignoring her husband and speaking to Trini, who looked away.

    When she didn't answer, June lost patience.    

    "Speak!" she demanded, slamming her hands on the table and startling her sons, who jumped. "I just--"

    "Relax," her husband soothed.

    "Okay. Relax," June repeated.

    Trini threw her banana on the table as she stared at it. Her father took over with the questions.

    "Okay, Trini, let's start over," he started.

    She gave a very small smile and folded her hands around her knees.

    "Please tell us one thing you did today," he continued.

    All eyes were now on Trini. She seemed to think for something interesting before settling with talking about the new development.

    "Me and five kids from Angel Grove found a spaceship buried underground," she stated, pausing.

    "What?" June asked, sounding faint.

    Trini's brothers stared at her in shock and awe. She smiled again. She spoke casually, as though she found spaceships every day.

    "I'm pretty sure I'm a superhero," she added.

    June looked at her husband in disbelief. Her brothers shared an amazed look before speaking simultaneously.

    "Cool," they whispered.

    "Not cool," June said, standing up and grabbing something.

    She came over and stood next to Trini before slamming something onto the table. A small medical cup.    

    "Pee in that cup!" June exclaimed.

    Trini looked at it in disgust and then up at her mother in disbelief.

    Jason stood in his garage, hand on the hood of the banged up truck from the cow prank. His father walked out, and Jason turned to him.

    "This to remind me of my screw-up?" Jason asked.

    "No," Sam sighed. "Wrecking yard only offered me 300 bucks for it and... you know, the frame's straight and the engine still runs. Figure I'd leave it up to you to decide if you wanted to fix it."

    Jason merely looks at his dad before a police car stops in front of their house.

    "Oh, shit," Sam said quietly, walking up to the car.

    "Mr. Scott, there's been an incident on you boat. It's a terrible situation. You gotta come with me," the cop said, rolling down the window.

    Jaylyn walked up at the moment the car was pulling away. Frowning, she went up to Jason.

    "What's that all about?" she asked.

    "No idea," he answered.