Chapter 12 - Derek POV

"Derek?"

The tone of Collin's voice broke my heart. He seemed utterly destroyed, by what, I had no idea. I took a step forward, unsure as to what I should do with the situation.

"Don't."

The authority in his voice startled me.

"I'm just trying to help," I whispered. "Let me help you."

I took another shaky step forward. I don't think finding out that I'm homeless helped him any.

"If you take another step towards me, I swear to motherfucking God that I will knock your lights out."

Not exactly the response I had hoped for.

"Collin, you're not like this. What is wrong?"

He stood up and met my eyes.

"I told you to back off."

Before I knew it, our eye contact ended and his fist was flying alarmingly fast at my face. I grabbed his hand before he could do any real damage. He sent his other one flying but it only hit my chest. He jerked his hand out of my grip and continued pounding on my chest.

And I let him.

I took blow after blow after blow, for what seemed like a few minutes.

"Derek..." he suddenly whimpered. He stopped hitting me and laid his head on my chest.

"Derek.." he sobbed, his body shaking violently. I wrapped my arms around him, not letting go even once. He seemed so fragile.

I sat us down on the curb, the rain overhead still pelting us. He laid in my lap, and cried for what seemed like hours.

It was around 4:30 AM when he stopped crying. He sat up and we sat there in silence for a good five minutes.

Before I knew it, Collin was softly wrapping his arms around me, pulling me into a soft but fierce embrace.

We hugged for a long time, each of us dreading the moment when we had to let go.

We ended the hug, and Collin turned away.

"I'm so sorry," he began, "you did not deserve what I did to you. None of it was your fault... well actually some of it was... but that's not the point. I had no right to pound on you the way I did, and for that, I am truly, one hundred percent sorry. From the bottom of my heart."

He turned to look at me. I began to reply to him, wondering what he meant by 'some of it is my fault'. But he cut me off before I could say anything. He began lifting my shirt up.

Collin ran his hand along my chest. The early marks of bruises were already flowering all over.

He looked me in the eye, tears already welling up in his own.

"I..." he began, but didn't continue when he started crying.

I hugged him close, pressing his head against my bruising chest, causing a little burst of pain. I ignored it though.

He pulled away, tears streaking his face. I hated to see him in so much emotional pain. He didn't deserve it.

"Why didn't you tell me you were homeless?

I opened my eyes in shock. I hadn't even thought about that.

"Sorry," Collin quickly said, "too soon."