Chapter 6 - Derek POV

A/N - Don' t play the song until it says so in the story for added effect. Song is by Adrian von Ziegler. 

I pulled into the parking lot of the school, my mind still churning with thoughts of yesterday's events. First off, what did Collin have to say to me? Secondly, what the actual fuck was wrong with Isaac?! I was determined to find out everything today. 

I stepped into the school, not looking forward to the conversation I was going to have with Isaac. I knew it had to happen though. 

After strolling through the halls for a while, I finally found him getting books out of his locker. I began to make my way towards him, mentally preparing myself for it, but he was whisked into the crowd of students and disappeared before I could reach him.

I grunted in frustration and sulked over to my locker. I got my stuff for the first two periods, which just happened to be math and history; the only classes I didn't have with Isaac. 

I slid my way into the math classroom just as the bell rang and took my notebook out of my bag. I looked up at the board only to see a bunch of complicated formulas that I didn't understand. Nothing was in my favor today, was it? I sighed and half-punched my leg. Today was gonna be a long day. 

***

I stepped out of the chemistry classroom, my last period of the day, and ran out to my car. I knew that Isaac would avoid me, seeing as how he wouldn't make eye contact with me the whole day. As soon as the bell rang, he sprinted out of the classroom and disappeared, yet again. 

I pulled out of the school parking lot and drove directly over to Isaac's house. About halfway there, I got a text.

Isaac: Don't even bother trying to come over. I told my mom to not let you in. 

I pulled over and parked against the curb. I hit my head against the seat and just let out a scream, finally letting out all of the frustration that had been building up inside me. What was going on? Why had Isaac turned against me all of a sudden?

Then something happened that I never thought would. 

(play song)

I laid my head down on my steering wheel and I cried. I didn't even bother to try and stop it. 

My life had taken an interesting turn since that party, and I didn't know how to handle it all. So much raw emotion had built up inside me. I usually try my hardest to bottle all of my emotions up and act like nothing is wrong. 

But today, nothing was working. And so I wept. 

I found myself whispering Collin's name as I cried. In that moment, I wanted nothing more than to wrap my arms around him again, to feel his embrace. 

I cried for what seemed like hours. I had just begun to clean myself up and go home when another wave of sobs shook my body. I ended up crying until my body physically couldn't produce tears anymore. 

***

I walked into my house, looking like a train wreck. My eyes were visibly puffy, and my cheeks were streaked with tears. I ran past my family, ignoring their questioning looks, and went into my room, slamming the door behind me. 

I laid on my bed for a while before I heard knocks coming from my door. My mom walked in with a worried look plastered on her face. 

"I don't want to talk," I mumbled, flipping over and burying my face in my pillow. She made an attempt to comfort me, but I pushed her hand away softly. 

"Seriously, mom, I'm not in the mood," I said, sitting up. 

She looked at me, the same worried look displayed on her features. She nodded and made her way out of my room, closing the door softly behind her. 

I pulled out my phone and dialed a number, half-hoping that the call wouldn't be picked up. 

Isaac answered, hate obvious in his tone. "What do you want?" 

"You need to tell me what is wrong, Isaac. I can't go on any longer not knowing what I did to you. You need to stop ignoring me," I said, hoping that he couldn't hear my voice choking up. 

"Look, it's not really my thing to tell," he started, but I cut him off. 

"I really don't care. You're going to tell me. Now." I commanded, hoping I sounded convincing enough. 

"Fine," he responded, "just give me a few minutes. My dad needs me to do some chores, but when I'm done I'll call you back."

"Okay," I replied, and ended the call. 

I laid back down on my bed, stuck my earbuds in, and listened to music. I almost fell asleep, but was startled awake by my phone buzzing in my hand. I got up groggily, but snapped wide awake when I saw that it was Isaac calling me. I was so ready to have this talk. 

"Hey," I answered, maybe a little too quickly. 

"Okay, I'm gonna skip all the formalities and get straight to the point. So you know Collin Crowe, right? Nevermind, that was a stupid question. Well, his friend Malia came up to me in the halls the other day, and told me her suspicions about you guys. She thinks that you guys are secretly dating, and she thought that I deserved to know."

I gasped at the information. Malia couldn't have been more wrong. 

"I got mad at Collin," he continued, "because I thought that he had turned you gay."

It was my turn to get mad. "Okay, first off, Collin and I aren't even dating. I don't know where Malia got that idea, but she's terribly wrong. And secondly, you think that if I did start dating a guy, I would keep it from you? You're my best friend dude. I tell you everything. And none of that explains the bruise on your face."

He sighed but continued. "Well, some guy that overheard Malia and I talking thought it would be fun to beat me up because 'my best friend is a fag'."

I gasped and dropped my phone.