Chapter 2 - Derek POV

This party was going to be wild. 

I was practically sprinting between the kitchen and the backyard, making sure everything was perfect. The fridge was stocked with beer and other assorted alcohol. The deck outside had lights hung up, and had speakers ready to blast whatever kind of music everyone wanted to listen to. I was so fucking excited. About seventy-five people told me they could come, and that was the most to ever come to one of my parties. I was just so freaking pumped. Everything had to be perfect. 

I turned on some electronic music just to have something playing when everybody showed up. I set out some bottles of everything I had along with some cups so people could help themselves. 

My friend Isaac literally had to grab me by the shoulders and shake me so I wouldn't go crazy from nerves. 

"I get it. This party has to be perfect. But calm down dude. Everyone will enjoy it no matter what," he said to me. 

"Okay but I forgot to set out..."

I was cut off by Isaac putting a hand over my mouth and saying, "Shhhhh. You need to take a chill pill, dude." 

I reluctantly took a seat on the couch, prompted by Isaac's pushing. I held my head in my hands, trying my hardest to not go check on everything again. 

My thought process was cut off by Isaac. 

"Don't you even think about it."

I slouched into the couch. What was I supposed to do before everyone showed up? 

***

I pushed my way through the crowd of people and made my way inside. I didn't even remember why I came in here. I drunkenly stumbled into the kitchen to grab another beer, but stopped short when I saw who was in there. Collin fucking Crowe and Malia fucking Rowan. I had no clue they would even come. I just figured that they would ignore the invite and start a party of their own. But no, here they were, in MY kitchen might I add, so deep in conversation that they didn't even realize I had stumbled in here. Why was Mr. Soccer Star himself here? I would never understand those populars and their ways of life. 

I quickly grabbed another beer and slipped out of the kitchen, leaving them to whatever they were talking about. I stumbled outside, cracked open my drink, and chugged half of it in one go. I hardly recognized the bitter taste of the alcohol as it sped down my throat. 

***

I was too busy dancing with some girl to realize that someone was trying to get my attention. After taking a few punches to the back, I turned around to see Isaac glaring at me. 

"Dude, you promised to stay somewhat sober."

My only response was a simple "oops" as I went back to dancing with this random girl. Isaac didn't like this at all so he pulled me away from the and started dragging me towards the pool. In my drunken stupor, I didn't realize what he was about to do. 

"Isaac let me go," I pleaded. He firmly shook his head no. 

"You should've stayed sober dude," he stated, and then picked me up and threw me into the pool. 

The water rushed around my ears as I sunk to the bottom of the water, not bothering to help myself get out. I watched Isaac through the fuzzy haze, looking at his scowl of disappointment. I waited a few seconds under water, letting my rational mind come back. Now that I wasn't loopy, I kicked against the ground and shot up to the surface. 

"You're a jerk, you know that?" I said as I climbed out of the water. 

I looked up to see Collin and Malia standing with Isaac, glaring at him just as much as I was. 

"Dude, that was so uncalled for," Malia spat, helping me to my feet. 

Collin stayed silent, but offered me his jacket, probably because he noticed that I was shivering. I nodded my head in thanks. The two of them led me inside, and into my room to get a towel and a change of clothes. They both left the room to let me change in solitude. 

After I had changed and dried myself, I stepped out into the hallway, surprised to see them still waiting for me. Even though my jerk of a friend Isaac had thrown me in the pool to sober me up, I was still a little drunk, and did something I never thought I would ever do. 

I reached out and wrapped my arms around Malia, thanking her for defending me. I then gave Collin his jacket back and gave him an equally fierce hug. He looked shocked, but I continued on with the hug anyway. As I hugged him, the only thought going through my mind was, "Damn he smells good." 

I pulled away from him and raced down the stairs, determined to continue enjoying the party. As I raced out to the yard, I mentally criticized myself. Why did I just fucking hug the two most popular kids at school? 

***

The party had ended, sadly. As I said farewells to the people who attended, I cleaned up the table of alcohol and snacks. I got a few "I had fun"'s and a few "thanks for inviting me"'s. I simply nodded my head in response to them. Isaac, of course, would be spending the night, no matter how mad I was at him. 

The last people to leave were Collin and Malia. Before they stepped through the door, I pulled them aside. 

"Thanks, you guys, for helping me out. Also, sorry for the really awkward hugs. I don't know what got into me."

Collin spoke this time. "You didn't deserve to get thrown into a pool, no matter how drunk you were," he said with a small smile. "And I enjoyed the hug."

Malia nodded her agreement, and they both left. I watched them walk down the driveway, get into Collin's car, and drive away. As I closed the door and turned around to continue cleaning, Collin's little smile popped into my mind, making my stomach flutter. I had no idea why it did that. I have no chance with him. 

I'm not even attracted to guys anyway.