Chapter 14 - Derek POV (final chapter)

I had no words for what I saw.

He stood in the doorway of my hotel room and offered me a weak smile. His body was covered in bruises and he was bleeding from multiple places. The worst thing about the whole situation was that his eyes were missing their usual glow. Whatever happened obviously took a mental toll on him as well.

I just stood there in shock, tears cascading down my face. He pulled me into a hug, whispering reassuring things in my ears.

I knew that I should be the one comforting him. You could see the pain in his eyes. But I couldn't move. What kind of sick person would beat someone this badly? I pulled away from him and gingerly touched his jaw, where a new bruise was blossoming. Talk about hating seeing someone you love getting hurt.

"Who did this to you?" I finally managed to get out.

He just shook his head, tears now falling from his eyes too.

"Who did this to you?" I repeated, this time with a sense of authority.

He just stood there for a few seconds, shaking.

"Ma..." he started, but I already knew what he was going to say.

I pushed past him, and started down the hall. I was ready to cut a bitch. I was pretty sure that you could feel the anger radiating off of me.

He hobbled down the hall after me, going as fast as he could. I still had a head start though, so I kept going.

"Derek," he called after me, "don't."

I turned on my heel to face him. He looked very sad. He obviously didn't want Malia getting hurt.

"And why shouldn't I?" I almost screamed.

Hurt flashed across his face for a split second, but he hid it behind a pleading voice.

"You don't need to punish her for being an ignorant bitch. You can't fight fire with fire."

"But she needs to learn that doing this," I said while motioning to his body, "is not okay under any circumstance."

"I agree. She does. But this is not the time or way to do it. Anyway, why do you care so much? If I were you I would just stay out of it and let me handle it."

I stared at him in disbelief.

"Why do I care? Are you serious or just delusional?" I shot back.

This time he didn't do anything to hide the hurt on his face.

"I know you think that I hate you for what you said," I continued, "but I don't. In fact, I'm relieved that you said that because I was over here thinking that my love for you was unrequited. And what was that line that you said to me earlier? Oh yeah, 'I hate seeing people I love get hurt'? Well guess what? I hate it too. What this bitch did to you is not okay in any way."

I stopped ranting and just watched him. He obviously wasn't expecting that.

"Y.. you... you love me?" he stammered.

"Yes, you dork, I love you. Now, if you would excuse me, I have a bitch ass traitor of a 'best friend' to punish."

I continued storming down the hallway. I was going to make this bitch pay for what she did. I got into the elevator and rapidly pressed the shut door button after seeing that Collin had almost caught up to me.

But to no avail.

He stopped the door with his foot and got in with me. I shot a glare at him.

"Derek," he almost whispered. "Don't make it worse. Please."