Chapter 8 - Derek POV

A/N - above is a picture of Luna :) 

I walked into the house only to be greeted by silence. It was a strange thing, considering my home was usually buzzing with movement and sound. It told me that something was wrong. 

I slowly walked into the house, bad thoughts running through my mind. Maybe my family had been killed, maybe they were all kidnapped, maybe they were even just hiding in a closet hoping the killer wouldn't find them. 

I tried to walk quietly to my room, but stopped dead in my tracks when a rough voice came from the dining room. My whole family was seated at the dining table, solemn looks stuck on their faces. My little siblings even looked somewhat scared. 

"Derek, take a seat," the voice commanded me. I identified this voice as my father. "We need to talk."

I cautiously took a seat next to my little sister. Something had to be terribly wrong for this whole thing to happen. I took a few deep breaths and looked up only to see my father's eyes burning holes in my skull. I suddenly understood the full intensity of the situation. Something was terribly wrong. 

"Derek, who is Collin?" my mother suddenly questioned me, artificial sweetness covering her words. 

My eyes shot up. How did they know about Collin? I've never talked about him at home. 

"He's a friend of mine..." I replied cautiously, not wanting to set either of my parents off. "Why?"

"Derek, tell us the truth!" my father exclaimed. "Your bullshit lies are not going to end this conversation. Tell us the truth. NOW!" 

"He's a friend!" I repeated, not sure where this whole thing was going. 

"Damnit, Derek! I'm sick of your lies!" he yelled, spittle flying everywhere. 

"He's a friend!" I repeated once again. "What more do you want him to be?"

"Obviously you're already something more, sweetheart," my mother pitched in, "you've been talking about him in your sleep."

My heart sunk like a stone. I officially knew where this whole thing was going.  

"He's just a friend," I repeated yet again, "nothing more."

"BULLSHIT!" my father screamed at me. "You're a thing, aren't you? You're dating him, aren't you?! There's no way I have a faggot son! I RAISED YOU BETTER THAN THIS!"

"HE'S JUST A FRIEND!!" I exclaimed, this time with anger laced in my words. 

"Bullshit. You have fifteen minutes to pack up your stuff and leave. No way am I going to continue letting a filthy fag like you live under my roof."

Tears started welling up in my eyes. There was no convincing him otherwise. I slowly got up from the table and went to go pack my things. My sister stopped me before I could exit the room. 

"I love no matter what, Der-bear." she stated, causing my heart to melt. 

"I love you too, Luna. Don't forget it." I replied. 

Our father was outraged. 

"Do you know what he is?" he asked Luna. "He's a filthy fag, and if you know what's good for you, you'll hate him for what he is." 

"Don't you dare bring her into this," I warned him, hate flying out of my mouth with every word. "This is between you and me. NOT her."

"Oh, shut up faggot. Go pack your things. You have ten more minutes." 

I went upstairs to my room and grabbed all of my essential items. I stuffed them into a suitcase, and made my way back towards the dining room. I made for the door, not bothering to look anyone in the eye. Luna, however, ran over to me and gave me a hug. 

"I'm gonna miss you Der-bear," she said, which caused the tears that had been welling up in my eyes to finally spill. 

As my tears fell, I hugged her back. "I love you so much, Luna."

She sulked back to the table and took a seat. 

"Time's up, faggot. Get the hell out of my house."

I looked at Luna one more time before stepping out of the house. 

***

"Damn this bench is cold," I thought to myself as I rolled over, looking for a more comfortable position. You know, this wasn't the worst place I've ever slept. 

I had been thinking a lot about when my mom had said that I had been talking about Collin in my sleep. It didn't sound like something I would do. But I couldn't deny the fact that he's all I've been dreaming about lately. I dream of him, his bright green eyes, his perfect smile. But I wake up every morning knowing that we could never happen. Nothing could ever happen between us because he's straight and he only thought of me as a friend. And I would have to live with those facts until this small infatuation with him went away. 

I had finally found a decent position to sleep in when the alarm on my phone went off, signalling me to get to school. I got up with a grunt and went to brush my teeth in the park bathroom after stuffing my blanket back in the suitcase. After brushing my teeth and somewhat fixing my hair, I stuffed my suitcase into the back of my car, which my father had let me keep, and drove to school, not looking forward to it at all. 

***

I closed my locker and went to leave for the day, but was stopped by none other than Collin. 

"Dude, is everything okay?" he asked, obvious worry in his tone. 

"Is it that obvious?" I asked. 

"Yes, yes it is. You look like a trainwreck dude. Is there any way I can help?"

"Unless you can give me a place to stay, then no," I whispered under my breath, hoping he wouldn't hear me. But he did. 

"You can use my guest bedroom if you need to crash at my place for a few nights," he immediately replied, not even questioning my motives. 

"It was a joke dude," I replied even though it wasn't. "Thanks for the offer anyway."

"That's what friends are for right," he said, mocking my words while flashing his award-winning smile. 

I smiled back, and began to walk away. 

"But seriously, if you need anything, make sure to text me, okay?" he called after me. 

I nodded in response and made my way out to my car. I was not looking forward to sleeping on that bench again tonight.