Phoenix

Ramona's P.O.V.

It was a few days after their failed mission that Ramona was ready for another go at it.

The others were still alive. Glenn, with his everlasting hacking skills, got back into government emails. They were discussing what to do with the prisoners yet and never decided on anything, according to what Glenn found. But their options weren't all that great either - they either wanted to move them elsewhere in the White House, take them out of the city completely, or just kill them. And they were leaning towards the third option, since they were no longer needed and could hardly get anything out of them (their perseverance Ramona found herself beaming at, however).

On top of this, Ramona felt more guilty with each day. She did her best to reverse all of her bad feelings, of course, but this proved quite difficult when she thought about how both Ryan and Lynn had awful birthdays and they were all likely in terrible pain.

Ramona was anxious all the time as well, wondering when they would begin planning for the second attempt to rescue them. Daryl usually muttered plan ideas under his breath wherever he went and Ramona would catch this - hardly anything came out of his mouth since their failure. Perhaps he, too, was ashamed. His ego made that seem very possible.

Ramona was also worried, above all. So much so that she slept only three to five hours each night if she was lucky and her waking hours only went so well because she filled herself with caffeine. To keep herself even more awake, Ramona took to training harder than ever before and making a different Rebel teach her moves with each rigorous session, which she had four each day. It not only made her pay attention, for everyone had unique techniques, but the fact that they were different kept her on her toes. She learned this the hard way the first couple of times, especially since she was still healing from that great fall from the balcony.

Then, before Ramona thought the man would never speak, Daryl approached her on the night of the 28th, while she headed back to her room after her last session.

"I'm starting to think of plans before the others get moved. Carter has a speech tomorrow just outside of the White House and I've got a lot to say to everyone about it." Were the first things he said. Ramona gaped for a moment.

"Are we gonna go?"

"Possibly. Meet me in Room 103 in half an hour."

⇺⊕⇻

They'd decided that they would be going to Carter's speech the next day, Daryl hoping that would give them clues or opportunities. Rebels would keep an eye on the White House as well, making sure the guys would remain there and keep them updated.

Ramona was relieved to be able to do something that was at least somewhat progressive. Thus, in higher spirits than usual, she went up to the rooftop when it was almost midnight. She was there but a few minutes before Daryl said, "You shouldn't be up here."

She hardly replied, knowing well she was under the cover of night and likely wouldn't be attacked from a rooftop. Not to mention Daryl didn't seem to enforce the rule of his either - he sat down on the ledge beside her.

"You did great in the White House. Never got a chance to tell you like I wanted to. But you've done well."

"Thank you." Ramona replied stiffly. While he thought he never mentioned it, he'd said something of the sort at least a few times since they left the place. It was flattering, truly, especially as she knew she was quickly getting better at fighting.

"Besides, you've been through some shit. I don't know specifics, but I've thought a lot about the situation with your dad. Ryan told me a bit of it while he was here, you know. I was usually so caught up in Green business that I didn't pay as much attention to him."