Silent Secrets

Ryan's P.O.V.

Ryan took the man's hand for a firm shake, though hesitant to do so.

"I didn't think I was a very strong voice." Ryan stated plainly as they let go. Daryl smiled, "You thought wrong. Let's go."

Then he began to walk off, towards the back of the parking lot. The only two ways to go were out front or through an opening just behind some of the fence and bushes covering it, on the opposite side.

"What about our car?"

Daryl looked back over his shoulder.

"Oh, that banged up thing? Don't worry about it. Glenn pick-pocketed the keys from Mark," He smirked, "You shouldn't be driving that around anyways. It belongs to us."

"What?"

All three of them exclaimed that simultaneously, stopping in their tracks to gape. Daryl looked as if he expected the reaction and fully faced them, his eyes on Ryan.

"Yes, we crashed into you. The people on the road? They were my Rebels just acting. The man who ran into you? Acting. There was also someone else planted in the trees to make sure it went smoothly, who I also spoke to on a radio. Additionally, someone waited outside your cabin to make sure you even got back safely."

"But---"

"Why? It's simple. About another quarter mile down the road was a group of police officers and government officials, looking for you and your group. We crashed into you and blocked the road to create a diversion. Thank us. Had we not stopped you, you would be caught and likely dead already."

Daryl took a pause, likely to let them soak the information in.

"Now, come," He continued, turning around to walk again, "As you might now, the government is quite diligent about security, and with the way you abruptly left and weren't exactly inconspicuous about your disguises, they'll come looking any second. Besides, I'm sure you have more questions, which I'll be happy to answer."

Ryan, though shocked beyond any measure, didn't hesitate to follow him. He heard Zach and Mark take a pause before doing the same.

Past the gate at the far end of the lot was a spacious yet dirty alleyway, paved with crooked stone and lined with bushes, all mostly dead. Towards the middle was a small opening with two large dumpsters and two sleeping homeless men. Other than that, they were alone and Ryan felt safe and insecure at the same time. Safe likely because Daryl had already proven that he was smart and capable, yet insecure because...well, it was a permanent feeling these days.

"We'll have to walk a few blocks, but I'm sure none of you mind. As I said, you probably have questions, don't you? So start." Daryl said to them, already trotting well ahead.

"Gladly," Zach immediately growled, "How the hell did you know where we were? You said there was someone outside the cabin."

"And if you knew we were there, why didn't you come talk to us earlier?" Mark added.

"We've been tracking you since the concert, but only found you after your little fiasco in Salt Lake City. Lucky for us, we have people that can tap into government networks, like cameras, and your tour bus is hard to miss if one is really looking for it. We've just been following you since you left that place. As for why we didn't make contact earlier, I'll at least tell you that I have my methods, and everything comes in due time. I do everything for a reason."

"How many of you are there?" Ryan stared in awe.

"Oh, hundreds. So you certainly aren't alone. We have people in every state, often several cities within one. Which is also why we're able to gather so much information."