Foxtails

Ryan's P.O.V.

Later that night, all of them had successfully been situated at the Rebels' base. They'd been conveniently placed just down the hall from that room with the computers, the dining hall they had, as well as a few other important rooms Ryan didn't yet know of.

They way they now lived was put upon them so suddenly, and it was odd and comforting at the same time. They were famed, almost, whenever they walked down the halls, going wherever they pleased in this large place. Often Ryan was either with Ramona in their room or accompanying Daryl, watching as he did work or getting more information. They were also given additions to their wardrobes, which happened to be all black, but Ryan couldn't complain much of it.

The rooms were also quite nice. Even the term "room" wasn't as accurate as was "apartment." Besides kitchens, they had everything that a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment would have. It was a luxury compared to what they'd been living for several weeks. It was the closest to what they used to have, above all.

The only things truly missing from Ryan's life were all the girls - and that included Ramona. She was the same as she had been over the past few weeks, so he cared for her the same, but it was also as if she got quieter. Ryan knew this was just the illusion forming from her being quiet for so long, but it still bothered the hell out of him.

Ryan just wanted Ramona back and had no idea how to do it. The worst part was that he was there to see it this time. Before they had to run, he didn't see her state because he was at work. Yet more often than not now, he was by her side. It was in silence most of the time. It ate away at him constantly. She seemed like an empty shell, a zombie, only doing what a basic human needed and speaking when she absolutely had to.

Ryan had recently taken to approaching her differently, and noticed she looked most lively when doing something that mattered or talking about something she enjoyed. Granted, most lively only meant that there was a bit more light in her eyes, but it was still something and Ryan used it best to his advantage in getting her to return to him.

It was about eleven that night when Ryan noticed Ramona moving around more than usual beside him in the bed, and through the dark silence he asked, "Can't sleep?"

She made a small noise indicating he was right.

"Wanna go see if there's any news on the girls?"

Though she was barely visible, Ryan could see her head turn a bit towards him. Her shoulders moved up in a slow shrug. Ryan knew this meant she didn't care much, but thought it could do her some good to know. Or at least do something.

"Come on." Ryan suddenly beckoned, throwing the covers off and turning the lamp on beside the bed. As he got his pants and some shoes on, he looked over to see Ramona still laying there. Her eyes were closed and one forearm was over her face. She looked frustrated, almost. At this, Ryan moved over to the other side of the bed.

"That is why you can't sleep, right?"

"Yeah. Haven't slept more than a few hours in the past two days."

Her arm wasn't removed from her face, as if she didn't want him to see her. As if she'd given up on all of it.

"Come on, Ramona. Maybe they've got something."

"If they do, it'll be bad."

"Maybe not. Glenn's good at hacking. Maybe he got more information from Carter or something. Emails and such."

Ramona shook her head. Ryan sighed and put a hand on her other hand, laid across her stomach.

"Ramona."