19- Epilogue - thing

Josh is 22 years old and he's honest to God happy he's alive.

He never did go back to college, but he and Brendon were still with eachother almost all the time because they live together now (like no one saw that one coming). He's seen Brendon grow and mature and he still doesn't take any of Josh's shit so really, what would Josh have ever done without him?

He's been thinking about moving to New York to start trying to get jobs there and yeah, it upsets Josh a little to have his best friend so far, but he's also so fucking proud of him.

He's introduced him to a bunch of his new friends too, who in the end got him a drumming gig for a few months with this band called House Of Heroes.

It was fun doing what he wanted in front of people and putting on a show. It gave him this feeling inside his chest like this is what he's meant to be doing, not whatever shit he expected to do straight out of college.

Fuck office jobs.

So yeah, when House Of Heroes came up to him and were all heeeey broooo, not to be mean or anything, but like, Colin is back so we've gotta let you go—Josh felt defeated again.

He tried to join other bands, but he just wasn't feeling any of them and didn't put his heart into it. It was aggravating to say the least. His day job sucked, so at least back when he was in HoH he had something to look forward to, you know?

After he makes the decision to give up on the drumming thing for a bit, he and his friends decide to go for drinks. Brendon isn't there but it's fine, he had work and Josh had other friends besides him.

One of his friends had invited them all to see him perform with his band one last time before he leaves—he was a drummer too and he and Josh hit it off really well when they met about a month ago when he came into Guitar Center.

Chris greeted them at the bar, patting Josh on the back and thanking all of them for coming. Josh is curious to see how his band sounds and if it was anything like his old band, but he just nods excitedly and wishes him good luck.

Only when the show starts and Josh glances at the stage, all thoughts about Chris are thrown out the fucking window because Tyler fucking Joseph is standing there, more beautiful than he was all those years ago and Josh is entranced. He's got his tattooes on display with his tank top and flower robe falling to his elbows as he holds his ukelele and were those leggings?

Josh is going to drop dead, probably. This was a reoccurring feeling whenever he's near Tyler, wasn't it?

Bad pun, he chastises himself quickly before focusing back on the boy.

Tyler looks like he owns the stage, like he was born to be up there, his theatrics enchanting Josh even more and making him bop his head to the beat of the song. He's so lively and Tyler's singing about not wanting to fall away and he's fucking rapping—Josh didn't think it would be this good, no matter how many times Brendon had said it was amazing.

"Hey guys," Tyler's soft voice speaks into the microphone and Josh's heart fucking stops. "We're Twenty One Pilots and it's my two good friends Chris Salih and Nick Thomas' last show. They're both leaving to quote unquote pursue better things."

The crowd starts booing and Tyler chuckles, shaking his head.

"No, but really, thanks for everything you guys." Tyler tells them and the crowd cheers. He turns back to them. "We hope you have a good time and we don't disappoint you; this one is called Air Catcher."

Josh loves everything about them, this band, he wishes he knew the lyrics so he can shout along with the crowd.

I won't fall in
Love with falling
I will try to avoid
Those eyes