2

Josh knew Tyler heard him by the way his shoulders tensed before he descended the stairs. Their eyes locked for a brief second before Tyler looked away, probably appalled and insulted as Josh huffs out a frustrated breath.

He didn't mean to be rude to Tyler. Sure Tyler abandoned him in high school when Josh told him one of his dirty little secrets, but Josh didn't hold grudges. He didn't. Although it did kind of piss Josh off that he'd even ask how he is, like he didn't know. Everyone knew. Josh was sort of a fuck up like that.

So yeah, alright, maybe Josh did come off as rude, but goddamn he'd be lying if he said Tyler didn't look good.

He looked really good.

Especially with the way his jeans clung to his hips and the way his tank top was a bit oversized and-

Josh needed to stop. Tyler was probably still as straight as a ruler. No point fantasizing about what you can't have; he'd learned that lesson the hard way.

Running his hand through his hair, messing up the abundance of curls there, he took his phone out of his pocket. He stared at it before cursing loudly and banging his head on the door, closing his eyes.

He had embarrassed himself in front of Tyler by having a panic attack when he could have just called Brendon and told him to bring him his key.

He was such an idiot.

Tyler probably thought he was an incompetent dumbass who didn't stand a chance in college. Honestly, Josh could have gone with today never happening.

He debated calling Brendon now; the two had been friends since Josh switched high schools and they just so happened to be sharing a room, -in other words, Brendon hacked the school's system and put them together- no big deal, really. Josh knew he would rush over to give him his key and he really didn't feel like dealing with Brendon right now anyway, so he called the only other person he trusted with his life.

"Hello?" Josh's mom grumbled on the other end of the phone call and Josh felt extremely selfish for waking her up at 11am on a Sunday.

"Hey mom, sorry for waking you..." Josh could hear how sheepish he sounded, but as soon as he spoke he could literally feel his mother wake up.

"Josh! Hey!" His mom was already excited, this couldn't end well. "You made it to school okay?"

"Yeah," Josh laughed lightly, her concern always making him feel better, loved. "It's really nice here, mom. You'd be surprised."

"Well, I hope it's nice if I'm paying-"

"Okay, calm down! I don't need another one of these money speeches." Josh cut her off and her laughter rang into his ear.

As much as he was looking forward to this whole 'college experience' everyone raved about, he couldn't help but feel sad because he wouldn't see his mom as often.

Yeah he was a fucking mama's boy. He doesn't give a single fuck.

"Alright, alright." His mom calmed down. "Damn, I just woke up and I miss you already."

"You know I could have stayed home and commuted." Josh pointed out, his eyebrows raising even though his mom couldn't see him. He heard shuffling in the background, his mom probably having got out of bed now.

"No way! You're going to-"

"Have the full on college experience, yeah, yeah," Josh finished for her, rolling his eyes. "I know. It'll be fun, can't wait."

"Don't be such a downer. At least you're rooming with Brendon, that brilliant hacker. How he did it, I'll never understand." Josh chuckled at his mother's train of thought and brought his knees up to his chest. "Are you alright, sweetheart?"