3

Tyler was exhausted.

Not only had he been up super early, but his friends hadn't let him take a nap or go back to his dorm until now. He couldn't even be annoyed because he knew Patrick -who was next to him chattering away about something or other, Tyler wasn't really paying attention- would give him this wounded, hurt face and Tyler would feel terrible about it so, naturally, he just plastered on a smile as they climbed the stairs and nodded along to whatever Patrick was babbling about.

"And like, the velocity of the blast should have, you know, killed everyone, but-"

Patrick was cut off by the door next to theirs opening. Tyler's heart skipped a beat when he saw Josh's messy curls and lazy smile as he leaned out of the doorway, trying to get a better view of Tyler instead of Patrick.

"Hey Tyler, dude," Josh stepped forward as Patrick gave Tyler a quizzical glance, which Tyler shrugged off. He didn't know what was going on anymore than he did. "I'm sorry about being harsh earlier. You know, like, life was being really..."

Josh's voice trailed off as he focused on a spot behind Tyler's head.

Tyler didn't know what Josh meant. Life was being really what? He waited patiently for Josh to finish his thought, Patrick abandoning him to go inside their room. Tyler noticed how Josh was sweating slightly, giving his skin a shiny tint to it and he was still smiling, his eyes-

"Are you high?" Tyler asked completely dumbfounded. They hadn't even started classes yet and here Josh was doing drugs already. How would he be when the semester actually started?

Tyler's train of thought was cut off by a loud guffaw that came from the inside of Josh's room. Another boy bounded up behind Josh, knocking into him and making Josh stumble forward before resting his chin on Josh's shoulder. He had dark brown hair that was sticking out in every direction and a mean smile tugging at his lips.

"The real question here is why aren't you high? Too busy reading bible verses with your little church group?"

"My little... what?" Tyler's eyebrows knit together in confusion and then the boy was chuckling uncontrollably until even Josh had to join in on his laughing.

What the fuck was going on?

Tyler wasn't in the mood to play games right now, in fact it's the last thing on his to-do list. He was sleep deprived and pissed off and he just wanted to lie down, damn it.

"It's okay, Tyler. I respect it." The boy assured him, an aura of nonchalance radiating off of him and Tyler lost it.

"Respect what?" He raised his voice and then breathed deeply, closing his eyes to calm himself. "I don't understand what the fuck you're talking about and I don't care. You're high and I'm going to bed. Bye."

Tyler turned on his heels to walk into his room but someone grabbed his arm, pulling him back. Tyler attempted to yank his arm back and failed miserably, deciding to glare at Josh instead, the smile never leaving his face.

"Hey, don't get mad at Brendon. He's just stupid." Josh told him, letting go of his arm and Tyler hadn't noticed how warm his hand was until it was gone.

Way to be cliché, Tyler thinks.

Brendon lets out a string of expletives aimed at Josh, but he just shook his head fondly. "I love you Bren, but you're so stupid."

"Yeah, okay. If you say so it must be true." Brendon agreed, giving Josh a sloppy kiss on the cheek before waving obnoxiously at Tyler. "Bye, church boy. Next time you have choir practice, please invite me. I sing really well."