Chapter 14

I pulled the pillow over my head, several feathers flew out like a bird flying into the night sky. Resulting in muting the words of my three maids pleading me to wake up. Their words sounded like the buzz of an annoying fly, completely making no sense; either from the insulation of the pillow or my drowsiness. Perfect. I smiled to myself, as my eyelids slowly were pulled down by the force of gravity.

They instantly shot up by the force of Lucy's action, snatching the pillow out of my gripped hands. I lifted up my hands to try and steal it back, but I didn't succeed. This time, having nothing to do, I pulled my blanket over my head.

Without waiting, Lucy and another maid pulled the blanket off the bed. I was left lying on my mattress, with nothing but the cover of my see-through gown. I curled into a ball, trying to cover myself, feeling uncomfortable.

Almost giving up, Lucy pulled the curtains open. The sun rays shot into my eyes, almost blinding. My hands quickly covered my eyes, covering the light. Nonetheless, it didn't bother my sleep. Soon, I entered dreamland, once again.

Then, a pang of coldness went against my skin. It is refreshing to the warmness of the rays. More and more coldness came. Slowly, my eyes lifted up to the sensation. Only to realize Lucy pouring water over me. I shrieked in return, fully awake.

"Lucy!" I whined, looking down at my soaked nightgown. I lifted my arms in disgusts, watching drips of water fall from my sleeves.

Lucy and Mary laughed silently, hiding their smiles under their hands. I joined along, laughing lightheartedly. I met Mary after the makeover. As shy as she could be, she is nice. Her cheeks reddened as she laughed, the ends of her eyes curved upward.

Suddenly, a gasp broke out. My other maid, Anne stood at the door.

"What happened?" Anne ran over to me, her forehead wrinkled in frustration.

"I went to touch up her dress for tomorrow, and now this happens?"

Silence fell in the room, the sound of laughter was the past. Lucy looked down at the floor embarrassed, knowing the reason to my wet nightgown. Despite her embarrassment, the tips of her lips slightly curved upwards. She was trying to hide her laughter.

"Let's get ready for today?" I suggested, sensing the awkwardness.

"Yeah. Lucy, turn the water on for Lady Aimi's bath," Anne instructed. Lucy quickly went into the bathroom and obeyed. Anne's bossiness reminds me of Silvia. She has raven black hair, cut into perfection.

"Is there anything I could do?" I asked.

Anne stared at me curiously, studying my face. Then, her face lit up.

"We are the maids, you have nothing to worry about," she confirmed. She spoke formally and with no emotions, but there was happiness in her voice.

"Your bath is ready!" Lucy shouted.

"Lucy." Anne hissed.

"Sorry," she mumbled under her breath.

I ignored the both of them, not wanting to cause any more tension. I walked through the door frame, into the bathroom. The room is scented with the calming smell of lavender. I closed the door, and carefully took off my nightgown. I slowly entered the tube of lukewarm water and let my thoughts drift.

-

I entered the room, closing the door behind. I felt the butterflies flying around in my stomach, I felt nervous. Interviews never went well for me. I had a mini heart attack when Silvia told us we were having a surprise interview with the prince.

"Good morning, Prince Hari," I curtsied.

" Good morning Sara."

"Aimi," he added.

I smiled remembering the compliment he gave last night.

"How's your day going?" I asked.

"Great, just a little nervous," he admitted.

"Don't be," I reassured.

"Thank you. Feeling better today?" He asked. I felt my heart skip a beat, as my cheeks flushed with embarrassment. I looked down at my lap and gave a small nod. I can't cry right now, not again.

"Hey."

I didn't look up. Instead, I played with the hem of my dress. I need a distraction, I need to stop the flood of tears.

"One day, everything will come together. Everything will be alright," he consoled.

"Yeah?" I whispered, trying to believe him.

"Yeah."

He wiped a teardrop off my face. I could feel the warmness of his soft hands.

"Think of the good things," he suggested.

I nodded, concentrating. No matter how hard I tried, my mind kept going back to the questions.

"What's your favorite celebration?"

"The annual lantern festival," I answered, smiling foolishly at the ceiling. I was imagining the scene, sky full of lanterns.

On that specific night, I would sit on the roof. I would watch the lanterns being raised up in the sky, glowing. It was like the stars in the night sky, absolute beauty. I always dreamed of having a lantern to contribute to the scene. I couldn't get a lantern. So, I sang. I added music.

I looked back at him, debating if I should tell him more. He smiled back, but it was forced. His eyes lingered around the room, unwilling to make eye contact.

"What's wrong?" I sincerely asked.

What had I done wrong?

He looked at me straight in the eye, not knowing what to say.

"I can listen," I added, wanting to help him.

He opened his mouth to talk, "Do you know what the lantern festival is for?"

I froze, having nothing to say. I felt stupid, I don't know the answer.

"It's a celebration for the lost princess, in hope to find her," he faltered, "In hope that she may find her way home."

"She's my sister, my twin," he whispered, not wanting to believe her disappearance.